Change oil brands regularly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I found this article on gasoline brands & detergent additives: http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html

It suggests that sticking with only one brand of gasoline will lead to build-ups of deposits from the additives in that particular brand, but that if you switch to another brand that uses a different additive, the new additive will get rid of a lot of the build-up caused by the old additive.

Would this make sense for oil at all? I.e., to switch between different oil brands at each OCI or at every other OCI or something, to help prevent build-up of a specific brand's additive's deposits?

since most of the NA name brand motor oil additives are provided by the few additive suppliers such as Lubrizol, etc., provided that they(name brand OTC motor oil for gasoline engine use) are all certified under API service category, with ILSAC GF5 and pass various major automotive manufacturer's test category (such as JASO valvetrain wear, GM and Ford test spec's etc.), I simply cannot see the need of alternating between various different brands of motor oil at all.

different composition of oil (e.g. between "conventional" to "semi-syn" or "full syn"), then maybe.

Bet ya your vehicle body will rust/rot away long before your engine goes bad, provided you rigidly follow the service maintenance schedule.

Q.

Not everyone lives in the salt belt. You can have a twenty year old vehicle in the south with no rust at all.

Changing brands of gasoline makes sense. But changing brands of oil probably doesn't matter since they are all very similar in terms of wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha! Agreed, no salt here in sunny Fl!

As a direct result of discovering BITOG we no longer are brand loyal at all. Whatever synthetic is on sale, change by OLM.

All fleet trucks and personal rides seem very happy.

Yes, I do live in igloo and cars tend to rot away long before the engine/trannie shot, unless you are talking about an Ody trannie or a Mitsu 3.0L V6 engine (tongue in cheek comment).

Q.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Except at the beach...

Cheers!

As a direct result of discovering BITOG we no longer are brand loyal at all. Whatever synthetic is on sale, change by OLM.

+1 I change like the wind, whatever is on sale, conventional to "syn", same with gas. You would be fine in either way you do things.

I don't pay particular attention to gas, I usually use the one that is close to my house, but I have no brand preference.

Same thing with oil, however I don't change brand every OCI, I have a small stash, so I use that up and then move to whatever else is on sale.

I try to use speedway since i get extra points but I go wherever is cheapest now...as for oil mostly I use Valvoline in my cars but again whatever is affordable i get.

As long as you are using quality fuel and oil, it's not going to make a difference. My parents have been using the same gas station for the past few decades, since it is the only one in town. Never had a fuel related problem. Nothing but castrol goes into my dads vehciles, EVER lol...

Last edited:
But your personal experience doesn't address the question because you've not encountered a problem.

Someone who has experience a problem, then switched brands to have their injectors clean up only to eventually foul up again and then switch back to the original gas or a third different gas and have the injectors clean up again would be the test IMO./

Really? Does that mean since i've never had an oil related problem that it means that I havent bought enough oil or driven enough miles either? Does everyone encunter a tank of "bad gas" in their life? Sure. But that could happen to anyone and too any fuel station.

I've never heard of someone getting excessive build up on valves or anything related from using one particular brand of gas as long as it was a quality company. They may blame it on the fuel, but there is more likely a larger problem with the vehicle.

Last edited:
I apologize to the OP for getting off topic! Use quality oil of any brand and keep your OCI at the recommended intervals and your engine will never know the difference if you the same oil or switch brands everytime.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1

+1 I change like the wind, whatever is on sale, conventional to "syn", same with gas. You would be fine in either way you do things.

I do this too,and I still wonder if it`s a good idea to do so.

I would say yes, makes sense. But only until you find the right oil for that engine. Thanks to galvanized steel the bodes have caught up with the engines and are lasting 15-20 years even here in the salt belt. The days of rusting hulks that run in the junkyard are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back