Change interval Manufacturer recommend vs Oil manufacture BMW Mottorad

Hi Ive wondering about the change interval of the engine oil for example Mobil 1 racing 4t 10w40, shell advance ultra 10w40.
I asked both manufacturer they told me recommended change is around 3xxx miles (6000km) or 6 months.
but for example BMW Motorrad manual says 1 year or 6000 miles (10k KM), knowing BMW Advanctec oil is shell made so i wonder which one should i follow BMW or MObil1, Shell.

THnak you
Mobil-1-103436-Motor-Oil.jpg
advance-4t-ultra-15w-50-high.jpeg

I run Mobil 1 10w40 4T for 5,000 mile OCI’s in my ZRX1200 and can recommend that oil highly. Did a 5,345 mile OCI this riding season, it held grade and shift quality stayed very good. Kawasaki calls for a 5,000 mile OCI, however I would not hesitate to run it 6,000 miles in your BMW.

My two Hondas recommend 8K mile OCI. Many guys on the forums run 8K without any issues. Some have gone to 10K miles based on their oil analysis. This is with all different brands of oils (predominantly synthetic oils). I haven't seen anyone with a bad oil analysis of Mobil 1 4T.

Take your choice Shell is trying to sell oil thus the 3K mile interval recommendation. BMW is trying to sell cars thus their 5K miles recommendation. I certainly wouldn't change full synthetic at 3K mile intervals. I use conventional 10w40 in my vehicles and run 5-7.5K intervals and have no problems with those intervals and 200K+ miles on two of my current vehicles. Between '88-'12 my previous daily driver went 518K miles on mainly 3-5K mile intervals. When it was newer it got 3K mile intervals and as it aged I went to 5K. When my dad bought a new Mercury in '68 Ford's recommended interval was 6K miles. When I bought a new Buick in '77 GM's recommended interval was 7.5K miles. With advancements in oil and engines 5K should be a cake walk.

My opinio: any high quality FS oil (dependding on your bike model), stay with BMW interval

to me, dirty oil is dirty oil no matter what you use, either racing oil or full synthetic or dino, whether you believe your oil will never get dirty or not, the truth is oil will become dirty, and dirt does not care what oil your bike has in it, dirt does get in there regardless of what you use, so this is why I change out my dirty oil before it reaches 4,000 KM because I care about my motorcycle motor

I would like to understand more on the dirty oil with respect to the oil filter being there to filter out foreign materials yet leaving behind particles of enough size that could breach the MOFT and cause harm because the oil is dangerously more dirty past 4,000 km (2500 miles).

I also care about my “motorcycle motor”, understand that a 5,000 mile OCI (over 8,000 km) means little with respect to being harmful other than sending double the oil back to the recycler if I cut that in half. I believe UOA’s kind of show that? No?

Dirty oil is good, it means the oil is doing its job of holding and carrying away combustion byproducts.
Oil is made to get dirty and if you follow your manual your good to go. Its sounds like at 4000KM you maybe following your manual anyway.
Many/most(?) motorcycles give a range.

For instance my Harley Road King says 5000 miles OR "more frequently severe riding conditions such as extreme temperatures, dusty environments, mountainous or rough roads, long storage conditions, short runs, heavy stop and go traffic or poor fuel quality."

My riding hits on a few of those above ^^ Anyway, for me and the $20 or $25 it cost me to change the oil, I like to change around 3000 miles though even then, depending on the year, it ends up much sooner. Either way, I change 2 times a year, I used too 3 times a year but haven't been getting in as much riding time last two years, I hope to change that in 2021.

I rather change the oil then wash the bike! its all what you enjoy.

Good post. I don’t know many manufacturers that have a “before it reaches” 4,000 km (2,500 mile) oil change interval on a modern bike street bike because the oil is dirty, which is the context of this line of comments at this point in the thread. Dark oil is “dirty oil” to most folks and it is harmless to an engine, analysis shows the true extent of “dirt”, and I don’t see much “dirt” show up around here in an analysis.

Back