Change fluid in 07 Caliber CVT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber with 100,000 Kms on it now and want to change the transmission fluid in it. It has one of these "Constant Variable Transmissions" in it. The only fluid that meets the Mopar CVTF+4 spec is naturally available at your freindly Dodge dealer for a mere $36.00 a liter, plus tax! A couple of dealers have also told me that the factory fill is good for life, while the owner's manual states to change the fuild every 100,000 Kms? Either the dealers life expectancy for that tranny is short or they want the job of fixing it when it fails. I'd like to change the fluid, if for no other reason, just to flush the debris. I'm sure there is some belt wear and other wear as well.

Also, would one on these trannies need to be hooked up to a machine to transfer the fluid like they do for automatics or could the fluid be changed through a drain and refill like a manual tranny?

All thoughts and comments welcomed. Thanks in advance.

You've got a Jatco JF011E in there, just like a bunch of Jeeps, Mitsubishis and Nissans, so you can also use what ever Nissan or Mitsu. recommends in regards to ATF. As far as I know, CVT's are just drain/fill. No fluid transfer machines. Here's your trans: http://www.jatco.co.jp/ENGLISH/PRODUCTS/cvt.html

Joel

Last edited:
From what I could gather, the technician has to change and check level for you with a scanning tool. (A StarScan) http://www.dcctools.com/en/ss_info/index.html

I would not, under any circumstances use any other fluid with a Chrysler CVT instead of the factory fluid. IIRC, it is dyed green and has a some sort of rubber ingredient unique to that particular fluid. From what I was reading, even a very small amount of the wrong fluid is instant death in this CVT tranny.

Here is a link to a free service manual for the Caliber:

http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?p=70281

Scroll down that link and you'll find it mentioned in that thread and will point to you the download.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
I would not, under any circumstances use any other fluid with a Chrysler CVT instead of the factory fluid.

Again, it's not a Chrysler transmission. It's a Jatco. The exact same JF011E used in many Nissans, Mitsubishis and Jeeps. You could use those OEM fluids without issue. I agree with the 'color coding' thing though. If Dodge's CVT oil happens to be blue and Nissan's orange, by all means use the Dodge fluid while under warranty.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
I would not, under any circumstances use any other fluid with a Chrysler CVT instead of the factory fluid.

Again, it's not a Chrysler transmission. It's a Jatco. The exact same JF011E used in many Nissans, Mitsubishis and Jeeps. You could use those OEM fluids without issue. I agree with the 'color coding' thing though. If Dodge's CVT oil happens to be blue and Nissan's orange, by all means use the Dodge fluid while under warranty.

Joel

Joel,

To clarify here, my main point is not to use anything but a CVTF+4 in this transmission. Go to Caliber boards and read about the downfall of using something other than this spec in these transmissions.

I'm not sure where you guys find the time to look this stuff up or how you find this information at all, but Thanks, a bunch! Now I've got some homework to do and may rethink my strategy accordingly.

Again, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back