Champion oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to local Auto Parts store to get some Wix oil filters (they always have them). While there I noticed they had their own brand name filters. I've got PH2827 for Nissan and PH2840 for Prizm in hopes that these filters are Wix.
After looking around on the web, it appears to be Champion.
Are these filters Ok or should I exchange them for Wix?

I believe the Champion line is a low cost filter sold mainly to repair shops, quick lube outfits, etc.

Champion makes a full range of filters. They make M1 filters and ST filters too. They make (or used to) the ultra elite (my words) AC Delco synthetic media filters (maybe others too).

In the "trade" branding, I'm sure that they produce a product that is competitive with any other offering within that market niche.

Ok, we will see in 3K miles after ARX treatment
smile.gif

Thanks Gary

"Champion makes a full range of filters. They make M1 filters and ST filters too. They make (or used to) the ultra elite (my words) AC Delco synthetic media filters (maybe others too)."

Sure looks like it, this is at the top of this topic board:

Champion Labs

Bosch
Car and Driver
Deutsch
Mobil 1
STP
SuperTech
K&N
Valvoline filters
Mighty
Service Champ
Lee
AutoZone Value Craft
Some AC Delco
VW (some)
Warner
Luberfiner
Trust

There's nothing wrong with champion filters. I used a supertech (made by champion) for my last OCI and it kept the insolubles nice and low.

Wouldn't it be funny if Champion had chosen a different name, let's see...how about: "Loser" I doubt they'd be making all those filters if they had done that!
Sorry about the interuption, my mind just wanders and wonders sometimes.

Quote:

Wouldn't it be funny if Champion had chosen a different name, let's see...how about: "Loser"

Yeah, even a name like "Runner up" ..or "Not the best" just wouldn't work too well. Then again, "ACME" kinda lost its meaning with over use in the Roadrunner cartoons.

Quote:

Sorry about the interuption, my mind just wanders and wonders sometimes.

You too, huh? It must be the side effect of a maturing mind (that's what I blame it on, anyway)
crazy.gif

Wiley Coyote is responsible for undermining the confidence of any company with ACME in their name!

Perhaps as we "mature", we sometimes become more childlike in our thinking? If you don't agree, well: Nanny-nanny-boo-boo to you! 8~)

I have used Champion made filters before like AC with no problems. I have a Champion made filter on now that I went against my normal routine of changing the filter besides the oil. Reason being I could not see in the driveway at 11:30 pm and could not get in the garage at my parents'. I guess I just had to scratch my change oil soon itch as it had been 3000 miles. Next in line is the impala but I can get to that filter.
smile.gif

Ah ..I just got an email from Filter Guy. He's alive and well for all who are interested. He stated that "Champion filters" if they're labeled Champion, are not made by Champion Labs.

Here's what he had to say:

Somone emailed me about a thread on "Champion" branded filters.

FYI..not made by Champion Labs.

Champion Labs makes the "Champ" brand....not "Champion".

If memory serves--those were made by Purolator ( could be wrong) to confuse customers who knew of "Champ".

Also, there were filters made for the "Champion" Spark Plug division labelled as Champion but I think those had the full title on them of Champion Spark Plug (Red/White/Blue).

Or maybe the person who started the thread called the filter "Champion" when he meant "Champ".
But wanted to clarify if someone buys a Champion labeled filter..it's not made by Champion Labs.

I've only ever seen Champion in aviation. Not that I ever deal in aviation filters. I just saw one and couldn't get any of the numbers to xref where I could see some spec's and thread sizes and such.

[image]http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/stylespilotshop_1957_32884421[/image]

These are made by Champion Aerospace.

Here's something to ponder. A few of the filters have 3/4-16 threads and are a 3.71" can size. I bet the gasket is a 2.8/2.2 thing too.

I wonder if they're any better than passenger car filters ..or just cost more due to FAA certifications that they have to be engineered and tested to
dunno.gif

Quote:

Ah ..I just got an email from Filter Guy. He's alive and well for all who are interested. He stated that "Champion filters" if they're labeled Champion, are not made by Champion Labs.

Gary, thanks for posting that. Some of us are glad to hear that Mel is still out there. Please tell him that we want him back.

I, too, wondered about the "Champion" brand. I *thought* that Champion Labs sold under the "Champ" label, but it's good to hear confirmation from someone who knows.

Interesting side note: Champion spark plugs were named after Albert Champion, who eventually left the company and formed the AC spark plug division at General Motors, which later became AC/Delco when it merged with Dayton Engineering Labs Co.

I've seen Champ or Champion filters (now I can't really remember which) at a auto repair shop awhile back. I just assumed they were made by Champion Labs. I guess one should never "assume".... thanks for the clarification FG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back