Champ XL ph2840xl cut open

This filter saw 3561miles of Redline 5w30 Champ XL ph2840xl over 7months in my 1nz swapped Tercel.

What went in is Total Quartz Ineo 5w30 and another Champ XL ph2840xl filter.

This motor came out of a wrecked xA and it had a m1 filter on it. So I assume it was pretty well maintained with hopefully good stuff. There is a little carbon and like 2 tiny shiney metal flakes. This is my 3rd oil change and of the longest interval since the swap. I havent even taken off the valve cover yet lol.

Once I establish a good idea whats going on ill start stretching out the intervals a bit to probably once a year since this is not a daily driver and probably run the filters to 10k.

The mark on the top is from my extention poking thru the filter cup from removing it

Attachments

• 20231210_101702.jpg
    20231210_101702.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 20231210_101710.jpg
    20231210_101710.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20231210_101723.jpg
    20231210_101723.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20231210_101732.jpg
    20231210_101732.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 20231210_101746.jpg
    20231210_101746.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 20231210_101751.jpg
    20231210_101751.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 20231211_124332.jpg
    20231211_124332.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 20231211_124343.jpg
    20231211_124343.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20231211_124355.jpg
    20231211_124355.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20231211_124404.jpg
    20231211_124404.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
This filter saw 3561miles of Redline 5w30 Champ XL ph2840xl over 7months in my 1nz swapped Tercel.

What went in is Total Quartz Ineo 5w30 and another Champ XL ph2840xl filter.

This motor came out of a wrecked xA and it had a m1 filter on it. So I assume it was pretty well maintained with hopefully good stuff. There is a little carbon and like 2 tiny shiney metal flakes. This is my 3rd oil change and of the longest interval since the swap. I havent even taken off the valve cover yet lol.

Once I establish a good idea whats going on ill start stretching out the intervals a bit to probably once a year since this is not a daily driver and probably run the filters to 10k.

The mark on the top is from my extention poking thru the filter cup from removing it
Very nice filter pics. Engine seems to be doing well 👍🇺🇸😍

I have one of these but the 2867XL on my Xterra currently. It didn't have the neoprene ADBV, and the gasket was nice and thick but it fell out taking it out of the box. Your cut open looks really good however.

I have one of these but the 2867XL on my Xterra currently. It didn't have the neoprene ADBV, and the gasket was nice and thick but it fell out taking it out of the box. Your cut open looks really good however.
I run those on my wifes Honda fit. The extra one I have has the black ADBV, I cannot remember the one thats currently on the car if it was black or orange. I run her filter at every other interval....so they see about 15k being fed 0w20 oil.

With all the talk of Fram Ultra's being cheapened and Wix filters not being what they used to be I think these Champ XL's may be my new plan in the future..
"All the talk" is really just anecdotes of a few folks. I'm confidant frams are fine and wont cause exploding engines across America.

I do like Champion XLs and have a healthy stash myself. Thank you OP for the cut open.

"All the talk" is really just anecdotes of a few folks. I'm confidant frams are fine and wont cause exploding engines across America.

I do like Champion XLs and have a healthy stash myself. Thank you OP for the cut open.
You could run an empty can for quite a while and not notice any engine problems. I still have Fram's in the drawer and will use them up, but the build quality on Fram keeps getting worse and worse. Here is one where the end cap is not sealed on the center tube. Was a random cut open - so maybe one in a million, maybe many. My faith for them has waned.

1702955279690.jpg

You could run an empty can for quite a while and not notice any engine problems. I still have Fram's in the drawer and will use them up, but the build quality on Fram keeps getting worse and worse. Here is one where the end cap is not sealed on the center tube. Was a random cut open - so maybe one in a million, maybe many. My faith for them has waned.

View attachment 193773

If the ADBV or leaf spring assy can sit 100% down on the end cap, then that gap doesn't matter if pleat enss are glued well to the end cap. If the center tube protrudes too far towards the center, it's possible it could prevent the leaf spring from seating 100% down. Most of these seen gaps are too small to cause any issue.

If the ADBV or leaf spring assy can sit 100% down on the end cap, then that gap doesn't matter if pleat enss are glued well to the end cap. If the center tube protrudes too far towards the center, it's possible it could prevent the leaf spring from seating 100% down. Most of these seen gaps are too small to cause any issue.
There is still a gap past the seal. The gap is on the tube side, so the spring seating on the end cap won't help - its leaking unfiltered oil directly into the center tube. Will bleeding a fraction of the fluid past the filter media matter - not likely. But again, its an example of sloppy assembly and a quality defect that shouldn't happen in modern automated manufacturing.

There is still a gap past the seal. The gap is on the tube side, so the spring seating on the end cap won't help - its leaking unfiltered oil directly into the center tube.
If the leaf spring or ADBV sits 100% down on the end cap and the pleat ends are all glued to the end cap, then it seals out dirty oil. You could take the whole center tube out and it would still be sealed in that case.

If the leaf spring or ADBV sits 100% down on the end cap and the pleat ends are all glued to the end cap, then it seals out dirty oil. You could take the whole center tube out and it would still be sealed in that case.
It’s still not the quality, it once was.
Which is the focus of the thread….

Its pretty clear on my monitor that 4 or 5 pleats have their unfiltered side of the V bottom open from the end cap. I don't see any glue there either. The leaf spring isn't in play. The center cap is irrelevant. Its open from one side to the other - just as if the bypass was open.

Its a small amount. Its not going to destroy anything. But its really sloppy manufacturing.

1702963158014.jpg

It’s still not the quality, it once was.
Which is the focus of the thread….
Why? Seems the same as it's been for quite some time, except for a brief period where nitrile ADBVs were used instead of silicone. This thread is actually about the subject Champ XL, not the Fram EG.

Last edited:
Its pretty clear on my monitor that 4 or 5 pleats have their unfiltered side of the V bottom open from the end cap. I don't see any glue there either. The leaf spring isn't in play. The center cap is irrelevant. Its open from one side to the other - just as if the bypass was open.

Its a small amount. Its not going to destroy anything. But its really sloppy manufacturing.

View attachment 193778
Sure, if the ends of the pleats aren't 100% glued. I mentioned that, go back and read it again. That ^^^ example is very rarely seen.

But many people have misconstrued that gap as a leak path when the pleat ends are glued correctly and the end cap is sealed. That's my main point, it's been discussed many times over the years.

Sure, if the ends of the pleats aren't 100% glued. That example is very rarely seen. I mentioned that, go back and read it again.

But many people have misconstrued that gap as a leak path when the pleat ends are glued correctly and the end cap is sealed. That's my main point, it's been discussed many times over the years.
Sure, and I said in my earlier post this could be one in a million. I was making one comment in one post about one picture of one filter cut open, as one example of quality decline. This one appears to be off center and not glued?

Sure, and I said in my earlier post this could be one in a million. I was making one comment in one post about one picture of one filter cut open, as one example of quality decline. This one appears to be off center and not glued?
Yes, that one had a badly misaligned end cap, obviously a production issue there. Others too in the batch, or a one off ... ? Only cutting many open with the same date code would tell.

Almost all brands of oil filters posted in this forum over the years have shown some rare issue at some time. When it gets to the point were it's a common repetative issue, like during the Purolator made filters media tearing haydays or cut ADBVs, etc, then there should be raised concern. The QC consistency may be better with some brands, but in mass production of oil filters (regardless of cost it seems) there will always be some QC rejects getting through.

Here's a shot of the last Fram EG off an Infinity G35 I maintained. Pleats were also well spaced and straight.

20210617_193024-1-1.jpg

Yes, that one had a badly misaligned end cap, obviously a production issue there. Others too in the batch, or a one off ... ? Only cutting many open with the same date code would tell.

Almost all brands of oil filters posted in this forum over the years have shown some rare issue at some time. When it gets to the point were it's a common repetative issue, like during the Purolator made filters media tearing haydays or cut ADBVs, etc, then there should be raised concern. The QC consistency may be better with some brands, but in mass production of oil filters (regardless of cost it seems) there will always be some QC rejects getting through.

Here's a shot of the last Fram EG off an Infinity G35 I maintained. Pleats were also well spaced and straight.
But now your missing my point. I know not much about oil filters, but I know something about light assembly - been through LEAN and Six Sigma and some others. Most issues come up on random things you can't plan for - material defects, etc. How many defects are acceptable to Fram? Fram seems to have more than there fare share on the boards and youtube. The placement of the end cap and glue is a critical step in every filter made.

Go to Walmart and observe the hundreds of thousands of bottles of water passing through that place with no leaks. There is no excuse to getting a end cap on a oil filter wrong. Could it still happen - sure. But when you get a lot of different defects - end cap not glued, lousy threads, wavy pleats, you start to see a pattern in my mind.

Obviously that's purely my opinion, and I made that clear above.

FWIW the one you posted does appear to be glued - I can't see any pleats- so I have no issue with it. It actually looks like the center tube is bent, not that the end cap is off center.

Last edited:
Back