Chainsaw recommendations please....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, they are definitely different product lines, but Husqvarna does own the Poulan brand. However, I don't think Husqvarna is really the quality brand that it once was either. A lot of their stuff just looks and feels cheap and the quality seems to be average at best.

Just an example, my wife's grandpa bought a Husqvarna trimmer that had a one year warranty. Of course, he never even took it out of the box until one day when I was over there and decided to trim some weeds for him. By then, he had it over a year so the warranty had expired. I put gas in it and it ran great. I used it for a while, then shut it off for a few minutes, refilled the gas tank, and when I went to start it again the recoil broke. Of course, it's out of warranty and the parts are going to cost nearly what he paid for the trimmer in the first place. So now he has a trimmer with less than an hour of use on it that's junk and not worth fixing.

I agree. Unless you're going into the more expensive lineups in each brand I'm not sure you're getting much benefit in terms of reliability.

Well, my buddy does live next door with his ms180. It would make sense for us to add a bigger saw to that mix
wink.gif

I'm still shopping...

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
However, I don't think Husqvarna is really the quality brand that it once was either.

That is certainly true with the homeowner grade stuff. It's inexpensive and it shows.

But, get into the commercial quality stuff and it's world class. The 346XP saw I mentioned is one really, really nice quality saw. Magnesium engine case, metal parts, metal oil pump, quality carb, etc. It's "old world" quality, that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I agree. Unless you're going into the more expensive lineups in each brand I'm not sure you're getting much benefit in terms of reliability.

Well, my buddy does live next door with his ms180. It would make sense for us to add a bigger saw to that mix
wink.gif

I'm still shopping...

If you like the 180, go to a dealer and check out the 250, 261 and 290. I think one of those saws will suit your needs fine. Just a matter of personal preference as to what size and weight are right for you.

As to Husqvarna, my uncle and cousin both had their mid level saws. They always bragged how great they were. They both blew them up the same season. My Stihls are still running great, and they both bought Stihls. May have been a coincidence, but I never liked running their Huskys, didn't care for the way they felt.

Running a Dolmar 421 with a 16" bar and a semi-chisel chain. Runs great, plenty of power and not too heavy. Magnesium case, easy starting hot or cold.....really nice saw.

I also have a Husky 455 with a 20" bar and a semi-chisel chain. I prefer the Dolmar, but have no major complaints with the Husky.

Get a couple of decent chains, and learn how to sharpen them.

Originally Posted By: Roadtrash
Running a Dolmar 421 with a 16" bar and a semi-chisel chain. Runs great, plenty of power and not too heavy. Magnesium case, easy starting hot or cold.....really nice saw.

I also have a Husky 455 with a 20" bar and a semi-chisel chain. I prefer the Dolmar, but have no major complaints with the Husky.

Get a couple of decent chains, and learn how to sharpen them.

My saw is a Makita 52CC with a 16" bar. Its made by Dolmar and is from 1995 or 1996. It was my dad's old saw before he bought the Jonsered. Cleaned the carb on the Makita, a new plug, and it fires up second pull everytime. Even after sitting for a year with gas in it. I'm guessing its weight is somewhere in the middle (its from the '90s) but it runs like a bear.

Not that this will help in your purchase, but when poulan was a stand alone company there chainsaws were outstanding. My Father bought a 33 cc poulan in the 70's when they came out around here, this saw was to be used for trimming branches on large felled trees because it was the lightest saw around at the time, it had a ten inch bar on it. That saw cut for many years and we never did ware it out . I actually learned to cut with this saw honest to god it was like using a toy it was so small. Anyways that saw was so good he bought a larger poulan not long after it was 69 cc's this saw was an absolute monster and just about unstoppable he still has this saw today. Poulans are know where near the saws the old ones were.

If you have a Home Depot with a rental center, they sometimes have Makita(Dolmar) rental saws for sale. You can get a 64cc pro-model saw thats used for $200 or less. You can also upgrade it to 79cc for about $200 for the piston and cylinder. I have 2 of them and they are nice. One is stock and the other one has the 79cc kit.

I have owned a POULAN for 15 years and has never failed to start and has always ran great. I bought a basic 16 inch home owner saw and it has done the job I bought it for. I paid about $129.00 for it at Home Depot. I expected it to last maybe 5 years so the added 10 years is gravy.

Post pics of your saws with brand, model, age and review
wink.gif

I'd love to see some of this old saws.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I have owned a POULAN for 15 years and has never failed to start and has always ran great. I bought a basic 16 inch home owner saw and it has done the job I bought it for. I paid about $129.00 for it at Home Depot. I expected it to last maybe 5 years so the added 10 years is gravy.

I think Poulan is the low end at Lowes and Husqvarna is the upper end. Husky bought Poulan a few years ago.

Sound like $129.00 well spent.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
. Anyways that saw was so good he bought a larger poulan not long after it was 69 cc's this saw was an absolute monster and just about unstoppable he still has this saw today. Poulans are know where near the saws the old ones were.

I had one of those, a poulan 3.7ci It had unbelievable power, ran almost like an 80cc saw. Poulan makes nothing like they used to. Stil, huskey, or echo would be my pics now. I do miss my big poulan.

Last edited:
Still still makes very Good chainsaws, as does ECHO. Forest Service here in Washington State uses only ECHO. That says something. If you saw how I use my 1984 Still 028 Wood Boss and especially how my 2006 Still 16" MiniBoss gets used, that would Show you something. Newer Huskys and I dont Jive, too much plastic for the High$.

Husqvarna, go with the professional seris if you use it a lot, the farm saw stuff is execellent too. You will have parts and service for a very long time with HVA. And seriously, no pro logger is complaining about the "plastic" in huskies.
Otherwise, Stihl is top notch too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back