Chain Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow bikers, just wanted to get some opinions on chain lube from anyone who'd like to contribute.

Thus far, I've tried chain wax (Bel Ray, if memory serves) and DuPont's teflon spray, as well as good old gear oil. The wax / teflon didn't alleviate the worrysome (to me anyway) chain noise on my brand new Ninja 250 that I had last year. The chain was adjusted perfectly, yet I could hear the fast-paced clatter of the links rounding the sprockets while riding slowly through my neighborhood. I'd go home, spray it again and it'd be silent for a while, but the noise returns after 10 or so miles. A guy from DuPont told me that this is what is to be expected from non-oily chain lubes, and that the protection is there.

My used bikes' previous owners tended to use gear oil. I'm not sure about it's protective abilities, but I do know that it makes a helluva mess. I just took all the chain and sprocket guards off my newly acquired Ninja 650 last night and found a TON of goop caked on everything near the front sprocket. 2 cans of WD-40, half a bottle of Simple Green and and a gallon of scalding-hot water later, it was all cleaned up, along with the chain.

I tried something new (to me) last night...PJ1 Blue Label. It went on clear, and dried VERY sticky. No noise thus far, but I did notice in the heat of the day today that I'm getting a greasy drip from the front sprocket area. I guess it turns back to its liquid form when it gets heated up.

Anyway..sorry to ramble. Now give me your favorite products and your experiences. I'm still looking for that perfect product, if such a thing exists.

I use the Motul chain lube in stick form and have had very good results--it doesn't fling off and make a mess. I don't know if it will fix your noise problems, but is is good stuff and doesn't make a mess.

1990 FZR
2008 FZ1
2009 R1 (too much bike!)

I thought that was going to be a good comparo...
Quote:
Klotz KLR is, all things considered, a fairly basic motorcycle chain lube, but in this batch it's a standout. As we've mentioned several times, there's no way of knowing whether or not KLR offers more or better or longer lasting lubrication to protect a motorcycle chain against wear than anything else, but the combination of low cost, high efficiency and ease of use is a winner.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Thanks! Pardon my ignorance, but what does the CPU column signify?

CPU = Cost Per Unit

In this case, it would be the cost per ounce. They do this to give a clearer idea of just how much you're paying for what you get. Otherwise, you'd no doubt have people directly comparing the prices of 6oz cans with those of 14oz cans and getting themselves all screwed up. They like to make sure folks know exactly where things stand.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I thought that was going to be a good comparo...
Quote:
Klotz KLR is, all things considered, a fairly basic motorcycle chain lube, but in this batch it's a standout. As we've mentioned several times, there's no way of knowing whether or not KLR offers more or better or longer lasting lubrication to protect a motorcycle chain against wear than anything else, but the combination of low cost, high efficiency and ease of use is a winner.

There are simply too many variables to be able to say that "X" product will give "Y" chain and sprocket combo an increased lifespan in "Z" conditions. Given that fact, the best lube is always going to be the one that gets used consistently.

I use Redline light weight shockproof gear oil on all of my chains. Maintenance is still the key and you just don't put the lube on and forget about it. I usually put enough on for it to drip then wipe off the excess after a couple of short trips.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
I use Redline light weight shockproof gear oil on all of my chains. Maintenance is still the key and you just don't put the lube on and forget about it. I usually put enough on for it to drip then wipe off the excess after a couple of short trips.

Now there's one I haven't heard before. That's what I had in the final drive on my Virago.

Don't you have a green, goopy mess all over the bike?

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

Now there's one I haven't heard before. That's what I had in the final drive on my Virago.

Don't you have a green, goopy mess all over the bike?

I've got to agree. This is the first for me as well.

Don't laugh but "Genie Universal Garage Door Lube", silver-black can with funny looking trigger, get it at Lowes. This is Alisyn Motorcycle chain lube with a different label, best stuff I've used yet. It WILL FLING OFF if you dont wipe the extra up but used the right way it works very well.

Dirt does not stick to this stuff and you will not need a tooth brush for chain-cleaning any more. It will clean all your old lube off with a heavy first application. After the new lube has cleaned the chain up wipe off the extra.

This is how I maintain the chain with this stuff.

Get some cardboard for the over-spray and shake can well.

After you ride "chain hot" take a rag and wipe off the the chain.

Spin wheel and spray the inside of chain with a "LIGHT" coat of lube on both sides of the O-ring/roller area, spin wheel after spraying to help lube work in.

Next day, WIPE OFF THE EXTRA and ride!!! This stuff is great for fishing reels, hinges... ect...!

If you want something more spay and forget it get some Bel-ray "Super Clean" chain lube.

I have used PJ1, fuchs Silkolene, and am currently using Amsoil HDMP (Heavy duty metal polish) i believe it is called, can be used as chain lube too

I normally put it on after a ride. Clean the chain with simple green and water and a brush, or WD-40, wipe it off real good. Go for a 5 minute spin to heat the chain up, lube the chain, wipe off the excess and let it sit over night. Then do another quick wipedown before the next ride and normally do not get hardly any fling

This topic reminds me why I'm determined to buy either a shaft or belt drive bike the next time around. The BMW F800 models look interesting...

Shaft or belt is fine for tourers, but high-perfomance motorcycles most always use a chain. Less driveline lash and light-weight and simple. Belt's can't handle the HP in a reasonable size that would fit a bike.

That said, I clean the chain occasionally with properly diluted Simple-Green and a soft brush. When dry, I use Dri-Slide Multi-purpose lube, a dry MoSF lubricant. This stuff is also excellent for lubing cables.

https://www.russack.com/view_doc.php?view_doc=8

In between I give the chain a shot of either LPS 2, or LPS Magnum PTFE lube. They're thin so no dirt attaches, but with the MoSF film, provide excellent lubrication and corrosion protection.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/lubricants_pg/Magnum.html

Originally Posted By: rshunter
This topic reminds me why I'm determined to buy either a shaft or belt drive bike the next time around. The BMW F800 models look interesting...

To me also, and reasonably priced. It has 80 HP. That's enough for me. It was featured on the Twist the Throttle series BMW episode. BTW a great series if you ride. All brands featured. I believe it is on Discovery HD theatre. The Ducati and Honda episodes are especially good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back