Chain cleaner

What do I need to clean the gunk built up on my bikes chain? I was thinking of using some brake cleaner. Lubing the chain with Tri-flow when its clean.

it's messy to do it on the bike, but WD-40 is probably the easiest. at the shop I worked at, we removed the whole drivetrain and cleaned it in a safety kleen tank.

Stewart Fan

Sweet,the WD-40 will save me a trip to the store for brake cleaner. Are you guys relying on the WD-40 for lubrication as well? IME,WD-40 isn't a real great lubricant.

I clean my chain using Simple Green and scrubbing the chain with a toothbrush, then rinse off. Lubing the chain I use Rock N Roll chain lube and on derailer parts I use Tri-flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use SRAM chains with the removable link. The chain comes off in half a second. After every ride I soak it in a jar of varsol and it comes out shining like a new dime.

is cleaning with gasoline in a jar bad ? I presoak my chain in gasoline and then i drip dry and then ultrasonic with cleaner and wipe clean - then back on bike before light home made lube

I use Simple Green as well. I put full concentration simple green into one of those chain cleaners you hang off the chain and run the chain around and around. Then I rinse it off, dry it and re-lube. Comes out very clean.

I usually use kerosene for chain cleaning- I put it in one of those nifty clamp-around-the-chain-and-turn-the-crank-type cleaners I got some years ago- like bakechad has- and it still works good (wonder if they still make it???). Kerosene works for me, YMMV.

Brake cleaner is kinda nasty for the application. I used Simple Green (neat) and a brush. This should get a lot of the grime and water soluble salts. Then I rinse, wipe down (dry it off) and soak in WD-40, then another brushing. This will get the residual oils and most of the waxes. Then another wipe and I suppose if you have some waxes left, do a brake clean blast. I've been lubing with Amsoil MP and Heavy Duty MP lately.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I should have said the Park chain cleaning tool. It clamps over the chain.
I use one of those sometimes. Other times, I just use Simple Green or a citrus cleaner. I'm using White Lightning Clean Ride wax lube this year, we'll see how it does. I usually use Tri-Lube, though last year I used White Lightning Epic and liked it a lot.

Little behind on this one. Simply use Dawn dish detergent full strength. Dribble the soap on there and let it sit for a few minutes. Coat the cassette too. Then, take a regular old stiff brush and hold it on the rear cassette while rotating the chain backward. Rinse and repeat if necessary.