CH9549 VS TG9549 Differences

Howdy Folks,
I've been looking at the difference between these 2 Fram Filters for several months now. I've lately noticed that the CH version Now looks Identical to the TG. The CH didn't have the plastic reinforcement before but now it does just like the TG Already had. The only thing different is the stamped part numbers. Does anyone have any intel? ha ha The CH is $2 less so it would make logical sense to buy that one. The guy at walmart said "They have different Media" but when I showed him these two filters he just showed me the different stamped part numbers on the lid LOL. That's the ONLY difference I can tell but I am half blind!

You'll have to increase your screen brightness to see the inner plastic reinforcement on the TG Filter as my camera didn't quite catch it very well on that shot. When I compared this to the FL2016 even my son noticed, right away, that it had more media & the color was more yellow/dark. In my opinion this illustrates more fibers than cellulose? We all know the dirt holding capacity on dirty diesels is good thing too. What do you think?

IMG_20210102_082935.jpg
IMG_20210102_083050.jpg
IMG_20210102_082946.jpg
IMG_20210102_083057.jpg

Just because the media looks the same doesn't mean they are the same. If you want to hear info from Fram, go to their website and do a live chat with one of the support guys there.

One is a Tg and one is a CH.
That's what's stamped on the lids. Any other differences you know about?... They appear to me as the exact same filter minus the white stamped part numbers on top of the filters. The media, construction, everything is the exact same.

The TG has a more efficient filter material. Would it make a difference considering how how long engines last in todays vehicles? Doubt it. The price difference isn't a whole lot so either one would be fine. .

Last edited:
The tough guard is more efficient and has more pleats. The tough guard has a higher synthetic fiber count in its media compared to the extra guard

Back