CEO of NASCAR arrested for Drunk/Drugged driving...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Did he have a prescription for it? Adderall doesn't seem like much of a recreational street drug.

He did not, he stated back when it happened that a friend gave it to him. FWIW he has successfully completed the program and therefore in my eyes paid his dues.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Here's what I think NASCAR would do to a driver with those same circumstances: Suspension followed by mandatory rehabilitation before reinstatement.

So isn't that what is happening? Brian has stepped aside and Jim France is now running things. I'll bet you will hear that Brain is in some rehab program within a few days, followed by a period of time (months?), then an announcement that Brian has successfully completed the program and is back in charge.

That is exactly what they would do. They have the "Road to Recovery" program for individuals that fail drug tests. AJ Allmendinger did it a few years ago after failing a test for taking half an Adderall. Just this year Spencer Gallagher was placed on suspension and completed the program after winning the xfinity race in Talladega.
. IIRC this is the second time he has crashed a Lexus and then charged with a DUI. About 10 years ago in Florida? His grandfather and father gave him a pot of gold and he takes a dump in it. How’s that rehab thing working out for ya Brian?

Last edited:
I hope he gets better but this is the latest of a long list of his personal addictions of drug and alcohol issues for 30 plus years, I remember back in the eighties his grandfather sent him to Phoenix to run the track and rehab away from Daytona Beach and Charlotte.
TOTO.

NASCAR life is all about drinking, driving, and sometimes using substances. .18 is about when people start closing one eye to see straight. I'd like to know what he was driving.

Oh, and I wonder how many nascar fans would like knowing the CEO hangs out in the Hamptons.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
NASCAR life is all about drinking, driving, and sometimes using substances. .18 is about when people start closing one eye to see straight. I'd like to know what he was driving.

Oh, and I wonder how many nascar fans would like knowing the CEO hangs out in the Hamptons.

According to a couple articles he was driving a "2017 Lexus"

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Did he have a prescription for it? Adderall doesn't seem like much of a recreational street drug.

He did not, he stated back when it happened that a friend gave it to him. FWIW he has successfully completed the program and therefore in my eyes paid his dues.

I think they were a bit harsh on Allmendinger. If the guy was in legitimate pain, and he took 1 single pill that someone offered to help ease it, he should not have the book thrown at him. That's a far cry from someone getting high recreationally, or taking a pain killer who was not in pain, and just wanted to get high. His was hardly a reason to get punished, or to be "put through a program".

This has always been the biggest problem with all of this, "zero tolerance" nonsense. It quickly becomes a foolish, lazy cop out by the management who is enforcing it. A bit like the grade school kid who got kicked out of school because he chewed a cookie into the shape of a pistol, or some such idiotic nonsense. "Zero tolerance" allows management to act stupid on the spot, without thinking on a case to case basis, and acting accordingly.

If Allmendinger has never had any type of issue in the past, there should be no reason for him to be punished. I have not been following France. But if this has been happening in the past, he may very well have a legitimate drug and / or alcohol problem, and therefore need attention above and beyond.

The point being, is these cases have to be evaluated individually, on a case by case basis. Not have everyone blanket punished under some silly, "Zero Tolerance" umbrella.

The France family is selling NASCAR so this means absolutely nothing. Just another young guy with too much money and too much time on his hands.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
The France family is selling NASCAR so this means absolutely nothing. Just another young guy with too much money and too much time on his hands.

Yep. Kind of like Tony George. When I first started working in Indianapolis in 1980, there was a story in the local media about Tony Hulman's nephew being arrested for cocaine possession. But he bounced back from that to form the IRL and cause a split in North American open-wheel racing that it still hasn't recovered from. Lord, spare us the rich kids that take over the family business.

Remember it's not just in NASCAR as a corporation, that things like this happen. Only about 30 percent of family owned businesses survive into the second generation, according to the Family Business Institute. Twelve percent are still viable into the third generation, and only about three percent of all family businesses operate into the fourth generation or beyond.

So the odds are stacked heavily against NASCAR surviving much longer. Perhaps the current bunch of NASCAR brats who are running the joint need to sit down with the Beretta family.

Remember it's not just in NASCAR as a corporation, that things like this happen. Only about 30 percent of family owned businesses survive into the second generation, according to the Family Business Institute. Twelve percent are still viable into the third generation, and only about three percent of all family businesses operate into the fourth generation or beyond.

So the odds are stacked heavily against NASCAR surviving much longer. Perhaps the current bunch of NASCAR brats who are running the joint need to sit down with the Beretta family.

That's a statistic I will not forget. I know a good bit of guys who "made it" their kids are usually jerks, and even if they're decent guys they don't have "it".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back