Century 2002 3.1 V6...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to you all, I've just bought a Century 2002 with 34000km (21000ml).

I will use this car to commute, type of use ? , 95% on highway, at 65/70 mph max on the cruise control, one, maybe 2 person aboard including the driver.

Total distance per day 150 km (90 miles).

I have the intention to follow the oil life monitor light. I may use Dino oil Pennzoil or Petro canada supreme 10 w 30 in summer,5 w 30 winter. I would prefer 5W30 all year long ,but I've read that the 10w30 is more stable. what do you think ? Oil filter Ac Delco or Wix.

Your preferance, P.Can or Pennzoil ?

Am I making the right choice here ?

Do you think that a dino can withstand this type of utilisation for 5/6000 miles ( 9000km)?

Question regarding TBN. I was looking at the Esso Ultra Protec 5w30 and 10w30. This is the top of the line here for dino at esso. Petro Can beats
It everywhere only TBN numbers are better (I think) P.Can 6.8 Esso 8.2.What this number is telling me ? I am under the understanding that the p.can will be (all used) before the Esso, am I wrong there ?

Finally, Any good adress for an oil lab in the area of Barrie ontario or Toronto ? How much should I pay ?

Thanks a lot for your help

Richard

6000 is pushing it on any dino oil (IMO). I would go with the 10W oil in Summer. Hopefully your Canadian friends will be able to help you
smile.gif

I have had a couple of the 3.1 engines. Great fuel economy. They have Gremlins: Intake Manifold ($500-600) is a virtual garantee before 100K miles. Change your antifreeze (even Dexcool)every 2 years (at least). Altinators last 50K miles (usually). EGR valves are suspect. Replace the ignition wires with Autolite Ones.

Good luck.

welcome.gif

I have to tell ya I think you could improve on things. The high ring lands,and short piston skirts are not the best design for long trouble free service. IMO 90 miles a day at HWY speeds deserves a higher viscosity oil in the warmer months. I would use a 15W40 like Pennzoil Long Life, Delvac 1500.... Once the cold Canadian winter arives I would proably bite the bullet and buy synthetic 5W30 or 10W30.

First thanks for your opinion, and I'm waiting for some others !!

My reasoning behind the extended interval, or for the use of the oil life monitor.
1- Engine working at the optimum operating temp.
2-Low RPM (2000/2100) at 65 mph.
3- No stop and go,or excessive idling no hvy load on the engine.Very conservative type of driving.

Using W40 grade now is out of question, warranty issue, GM recommend 10W30, but 5W30 is prefered all year long.

TBN please don't forget to answer that one !!
wink.gif

Beleive it or not,i'ts only one fuel tank and I'll keep recording but I'm really impressed by the consumption:
768.4 KM = 476.4 miles( Low fuel light on
shocked.gif

57.6 liters = 12.6 can.gallons or 15.2 U.S
result an impressive 37.8 MPG Can or 31.3 U.S MPG !!!
fruit.gif

I know for the Intake gasket, I'm willing to pay the 500.00 or 600.00 dollars to be able to ride in a car like this one, quiet, mellow suspension, the good old american way !!!

Richard
canada.gif

either of those oils will be fine for 5-6k miles, I would as you suggest do the 10w in summer and 5w in winter, but you could easily use either year round. if you were to use mobil 1 and did a couple oil analyses, you could probably double the recommended oil change interval.

If you insist on useing a 30Wt. then use a synthetic 10W30 and nothing less. M1 is a good place to start. Just for kick why don't you go a head and run 5W30 conventional oil in it and use the oil life monitor as your guide. When it say to change it make sure to get a sample and send off to the lab. I think you will not like the numbers! At any rate it will definately let you know how you car is and oil combinationis doing.

JohnBrowning
grin.gif

I'm French and I like to argue !!
lol.gif

How can I " damage " a good oil mainly used at the ideal operating temperature, under practically no-load,?

If the oil is capable of enduring 3000 miles of punishment downtown New-York city, I'm sure that 2000 extra miles on a flat road with clean air, wont hurt, but that just my feeling !!Nothing scientific there
wink.gif

I think that I will follow your advice,just for fun . Presently I'm trying to find a supplier of Petro-Canada oil,I really liked the numbers for their supreme line of product. I'll put a Wix or an AC delco filter. See you in about 2 months with the result.If the numbers are good you buy
cheers.gif
if not...you still buy
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I have to tell ya I think you could improve on things. The high ring lands,and short piston skirts are not the best design for long trouble free service. IMO 90 miles a day at HWY speeds deserves a higher viscosity oil in the warmer months. I would use a 15W40 like Pennzoil Long Life, Delvac 1500.... Once the cold Canadian winter arives I would proably bite the bullet and buy synthetic 5W30 or 10W30.

I can't argue with you- but these engines do seem to be O.K. with respect to long life from an oil standpoint. I know a couple of other 3.1's that went a long distance. The two that I had-one went 85K and used no oil. The other was past 150K and used very little oil. He being in Canada may not need the 40 wt. But it probably wouldn't hurt.

I would just run the M1 10-30 year round. Change the oil every 6 months or 5000-6000 miles. The full synthetic is a better choice for longer drain intervals and you will get better protection.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Baveux:
JohnBrowning
grin.gif

I'm French and I like to argue !!
lol.gif

O.K. since you like to argue
smile.gif

Did you do an oil analysis for your oil in downtown N.Y. driving? The oil might have been shot at that point. Also maybe 5K will be O.K. but 6 seems high (IMHO) . My son's GrandAm (3.4- a bored out 3.1, I assume) indicated the oil needed to be changed at low 6K's milage. The M1 10W-30 needed changed by then. Anyway-I think 10W-30 will be a good choice.

Although-even though I think the 10W was a good choice we switched to Delvac 1 to see if it quieted the piston slap- It did
fruit.gif
We'll see how the oil analysis turned out at 8K. I'm waiting for it to come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back