Center electrode erosion causes? 2007 Honda Fit

Hello!

Vehicle: 2007 Honda Fit 1.5L 155,580 miles
Plugs: NGK IZFR6K-13 Laser Iridium Spark Plugs
Coils: Hitachi IGC0053

Approximately 65,000 miles ago, computer threw 0302 codes (cylinder 2 misfiring). I did my homework, changed out the plugs and coil packs and all has been well (I was supposed to also check and adjust the valves, but never got around to that (whoops)).

Two days ago, 0302 codes were thrown again and car was clearly misfiring. Up until that event, everything was running well: no dips in performance, idling, fuel economy, etc.

Pulled the packs and plugs today and got what you see here.

All plugs were not very tight, but plug #2 was very loose and plug #3 was noticeably loose as well.

Thoughts and solutions?

New plugs (obviously), but also new coil packs? I've got a multimeter, but have never tested coil packs before (looking up how to do that now).

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions!

IMG_3608.jpg
IMG_3616.jpg
IMG_3614.jpg
IMG_3620.jpg
IMG_3623.jpg
IMG_3626.jpg

the heat from the plug migrates from the plug to the head. If it is loose it wont conduct that heat and they can overheat. Also gapping the plugs to the to the tighter side of spec they'll run cooler electrically. If they were std plugs switch to iridium's they will last longer. The tan insulator looks like a good fuel mixture.

the heat from the plug migrates from the plug to the head. If it is loose it wont conduct that heat and they can overheat. Also gapping the plugs to the to the tighter side of spec they'll run cooler electrically. If they were std plugs switch to iridium's they will last longer. The tan insulator looks like a good fuel mixture.
+1

If i understand, the second set of plugs had 90k on them. I under gap mine a bit as i think its easier on the coils. You have to be careful gapping them, i use a wire or a feeler gauge not a dial gauge. Easy to damage the precious metal tips.

+1

If i understand, the second set of plugs had 90k on them. I under gap mine a bit as i think its easier on the coils. You have to be careful gapping them, i use a wire or a feeler gauge not a dial gauge. Easy to damage the precious metal tips.
The plugs in question have just under 65,000 miles on them. They were installed at 90,756. Sorry for the confusion.

And I used a wire gauge, but will be using a feeler gauge this go around as I have them (as I'm finally getting around to valve adjustment).

The plugs in question have just under 65,000 miles on them. They were installed at 90,756. Sorry for the confusion.

And I used a wire gauge, but will be using a feeler gauge this go around as I have them (as I'm finally getting around to valve adjustment).
Gotta, sorry i read that as being changed at 65k then again at 155k.

Could very well be fake iridium plugs, but loose is not good either.

Installed new, legit NGK 6774's this afternoon gapped to .04, reset the codes, test drove and we're all good.

Will test the coils when I do the valve adjustment later this weekend (hopefully).

Thanks for all the feedback as always.

Real NGK OE iridium will still look almost new even if you never changed them at 165k

Did you get the coils from eBay too? :unsure:

Reactions: hrv
The gaskets don't look compressed enough on your old plugs. On those type gaskets they should be flat when tightened correctly. From NGK site with your plugs, Cast Iron: 18-25.3 lb. ft. Aluminum: 18-21.6 lb. ft. Use a good torque wrench to install these. Or in your case check'em.

You did better than me. Bought some fake NGK plugs on Amazon. Got about 30,000 on them before I started throwing misfire codes. I've did alot of reading on the fake plug deal since. If the price is too good to be true, its too good to be true.

I have bought a lotta NGK plugs on Amazon that started having trouble at 30K. They look like yours.
The plugs they replaced, with 90K to 130K looked much better.

Fake plugs are a low blow. Do these "NGK" Honda plugs look familiar?
5xxIofxlK118gugO9t2qyzJapEJxoejLfEefjvdE0ncTVUobmkD0ZkSD-Uh7sF96d6k4jUu2jTmJNhP_JQtFsIdvBuK3-Dct2q8YZBaNwY_tkFQyV3nsEA7OGV8c4m-X6gObQpsPQl0TJ8hVvKa_qighMFXslMK0Ov5vgKsSCsYwTyL-QTmkze6JBXnnJh47PGp6whDAt0RUwMxarJuf5Ca8CRe0yo6Ku0QyFogvGRz042AuWJD316fDWpd5ZaKBX_rqdCvlULtTfgfndleOQMFmCCCSmMK7csY-JsmJ8yFt7qhlq7y6CizkZqYhfSm_rWuHHaPm6BDBRbnl0Pp2FfXzgzpL8tJosn4rrVq1hG0fWLoyzLb1ZjLQg5gd8xet6_A6LnTRAW4nlEDvTrMBN_sByo0idBBGzO2ljp0LLXIBwz_qGr6qN0AIGvQlCFrfQwjdRRvEgnSrYBXGqTd-waBGCEfrv1BOGQ8LB88XGycyvb8dJ8WjXHpp09na8_3hfrf62AgIqN6I_agTcS3OOOTJ5rota-nxoCKnhJLZcqyewUm0yFOaTZvrFxhZwb9Q8LcqZ8gGxcGwm8LkX1vogklhQN4XVvcmnXQClLn03mt4DklmGliTNL7DimBNm4oSbJQFFykVMxHF6eSFrItuxPaQiflVRvWl9t2ZP5M7Z5DxQQ4jNCAHOnvLBmF7VMHgKFfNnh8A0-S1_nghScgtNMbiaCcgqqCVdFecOqj9_BhDmMChs9vgqkO83iX00w=w663-h883-no

Back