Celera 500L Interesting Diesel-Powered V-12

That's the first use of which I'm aware of the Reduced Emissions Diesel engine..
...if that's the one.. WOW, a diesel light enough to use in an airplane!

That's the first use of which I'm aware of the Reduced Emissions Diesel engine..

Reminds me of the 1930 Junkers Jumo 205 / 207 the only successful aviation diesel powerplants...
Junkers205Jumo1.JPG

Last edited:
I also started a thread on this crazy plane. Not much in the way of real world information out there. I'll look for some ADSB data.

It's certainly interesting and I do believe there is much to admire. However, I dispute the performance claims.

A link to the thread I started:

I also started a thread on this crazy plane. Not much in the way of real world information out there. I'll look for some ADSB data.

It's certainly interesting and I do believe there is much to admire. However, I dispute the performance claims.

A link to the thread I started:

Thanks Cujet as I searched narrowly and only on Celera and not Otto.

I would think the engine would be suoercharged in order to attain its altitude and fuel consumption performance claims.

Thanks Cujet as I searched narrowly and only on Celera and not Otto.

I would think the engine would be supercharged in order to attain its altitude and fuel consumption performance claims.

These kinds of valveless engines--much like but not identical, functionally, to the 'old' Detroit Diesel two-cycle engines--require a 'supercharger' to force the fresh air into and exhaust gases out of the cylinders, but the Detroits, NOT having opposed pistons, used normal, cam-actuated intake valves.. The 'supercharger' is just a fixed-displacement Roots-type blower and does not pressurize the intake system.. Both the Detroits and the RED-type ACE used/use a turbocharger to pressurize the intake system, thereby increasing horsepower substantially.. Generally, the two-cycle Detroits generated high amounts of power per cubic inch* but were quite dirty, pollution-wise, and generally are no longer allowed in new highway vehicles.

* For example, the common 568-cubic-inch 8V-71 (that means 8 cylinders in a V configuration and 71 cubic inches per cylinder**) got to 318HP without turbocharging, whereas the four-cycle Cummins 280 of the 1960s required 855 CI for 250HP, turbocharged. IIRC, that 855CI engine got to 380HP when highly turbocharged; I don't remember (if I ever knew) how the turbo'd Detoits did.

** The common cylinder sizes in these modular Detriot engines included 53, 71, 92, and 110 cubicinches per cylinder.

Last edited:
Back