Ceiling Fan Buzzing Noise

Hunter 3 spd/reverse. I thought that a bad capacitor was the issue and checked the two capacitors in the fan canopy. There is a single 5 microfarad capacitor and a double 5/5 microfard capacitor and they all tested good on a Fluke 375 which measures capacitance. Also measured currents with the clamp meter and did not see anything unusual.

The noise is most pronounced at the highest speed and the noise immediately stops when the fan is switched off and the blades are still turning at full speed. The noise is greater in one of the two positions of the reversing switch, I don't remenber which one.

There is no imbalance, the fan does not wobble at all at the highest speed. All the blades are firmly attached. The 3 fan speeds seem normal, the blades seem to be rotating at the speeds you would expect them to.

Not answering the question you asked, but Hunter fans used to have a lifetime warranty. Does yours?

We have a Hunter fan that does this, but on low speed and only sometimes. Grab the light - glass base with your hand and the resonance goes away. Someday I'll attach some rubber isolators,

Remove the blades and then turn it on. That way you can get closer to try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. If the noise disappears then it’s the blades. One might be out of balance.

Back