CD2 Street Legal

I was in the garage yesterday and found a few bottles of CD2 Street Legal on one of my shelves that's been there for years. After reading a post here on the forum I found it was very high in ZDDP (4800 ppm if I recall correctly). I'm currently using conventional 10w40 that was bought in the '90's and '00's so it probably already has a good dose of ZDDP. I drive two Fords with 2.0 SOHC engines and one Nissan with a 1.6 DOHC. My question is would these engines likely benefit any from the extra ZDDP. I think these were 15 or 16 oz. bottles. If you were going to use it along with the oil I'm using would you use a full bottle, or partial bottle? My Versa holds 3.2 quarts of oil so I was thinking about using 3 quarts of oil and 1/3 bottle of the CD2. This would get me within an oz. of having a full crankcase and a bottle of the CD2 would last 3 oil changes.

My question is would these engines likely benefit any from the extra ZDDP.

In the most general terms no and here's why. ( theres a lot of misunderstanding on how these work and tons of simply factually wrong information out there adding to the confusion)

These additives form what amounts to a 'coat of paint" as a sacrificial last line of defense against mechanical wear. ( somewhat of a quasi- plating/chemical bonding/pressure compacted layer)

Point is there is a micron limit that these additives can plate to in terms of filling asperities and compacting on themselves. ( in short they cannot build up like coats or paint or layers of plating- if they ever did they would change geometry and clearances and cause catastrophic failure).

That dimensional thickness limit also is restricted by the density of the specific additive where it will compress to the point it can no longer properly bond to itself.

So the idea that "more is better" or "provides additional protection" is a marketing induced mantra repeated often enough to be believed true with no basis in fact or truth.

What happens is ( when having extra additive available) is that the protection "can" be replaced in almost real time until consumed for short periods ( the part is still wearing but buys time and that "time" is conditional on the specifics of the application- not the properties of the additive)

So, if your application is "wearing' at an accelerated rate, additional additive "can" ( conditional) provide a benefit to a limited degree with a clear expiration date and only to a point where "scuffing/light uniform loading" doesn't become actual forced contact abrasion ( then nothing is going to work)

Pouring it in as some kind of ever vigilant patrolling placebo/prophylactic waiting to help beyond what is described above is not scientifically supported and I challenge anyone on Earth to provide verifiable proof otherwise.

Back