Castrol TWS 10w-60

Status
Not open for further replies.
VOA on Castrol TWS 10w-60, API SJ. This is the oil “co-engineered” by BMW and Castrol (according to the label) for BMW late model M engines (M3, M5, M6). The bottle bears what appears to be a date code of 02.06.08 and says the oil was manufactured in the EU.

Elements and properties that were zero or null are not listed. No TBN was checked.

Aluminum 2 ppm
Iron 1 ppm
Molybednum 2 ppm
Boron 109 ppm
Silicon 4 ppm
Sodium 1 ppm
Calcium 1141 ppm
Magnesium 470 ppm
Phosphorous 641 ppm
Zinc 796 ppm

SUS vis @ 210F 109.8
cSt vis @ 100C 22.64
Flashpoint 460F

BLACKSTONE COMMENTS:

This sample of virgin 10w-60 oil had normal viscosity. No moisture was found and only a trace of wear metals was present in the sample. That is becoming more of a common find in new oil. The dominant additive is calcium, which is a detergent/dispersive additive. Phosphorous and zinc are anti-wear additives. Silicon at 4 ppm is present to prevent foaming. This oil is in serviceable condition and should work well for your engine.

It's only readily available at BMW dealerships.
The last time I checked up here it was $18 per litre.
This oil has been much discussed on BITOG and elsewhere as to why it's recommended by BMW in M engines.
Bottom line....warranty recquirements notwithstanding, no one needs a 60 grade oil in a modern SI engine for street use.
BTW, this oil commonly shears done to a 40 grade in long OCI's.

I guess I made right jump to 300V 5W40...much better package with double the amount of ZDDP and 743ppm of moly...lots of moly

The fact that BMW's 330i requires this viscosity oil to survive is, frankly, scary. If I needed a reason not to buy the car, this would be it.

Gurney, this Castrol 10W60 oil is only spec'ed for M cars only (M3, M5, M6..etc). 330i still calls for regular 5W30. I know GC 0W30 is on the approved oil list for pretty much all BMWs except Ms.

Originally Posted By: Gurney
The fact that BMW's 330i requires this viscosity oil to survive is, frankly, scary. If I needed a reason not to buy the car, this would be it.

Leonardo629: Thank you for correcting my mistake. I would have continued to repeat it had you not done so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back