Castrol Syntec 5/30, 11529 miles, 2007 Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: webfors
This is an oil that could use some more respect!

I agree. This is good oil and not enough people take it seriously I think. Maybe because of the dorky advertizing.

I have ~3 cases of this stuff, which has been in the stash for probably five years.
Got a deal on it, of course.
I was kind of kicking myself for having bought it, since Syntec generally has a lackluster rep.
This UOA, though, makes it look as good as anything else you could use.
I am pleased to see that Syntec 5W-30 performs pretty admirably in actual use.
Once I have run through the last change of M1 I have on hand, the '99 Accord is going on a Syntec 5W-30 diet.

Originally Posted By: river_rat

I agree. This is good oil and not enough people take it seriously I think. Maybe because of the dorky advertizing.

I also agree BUT....is a Matrix easy on oil? would this oil hold up equally as well in a more demanding/shearing type vehicle??

what works in one don't always work in all...not bashing.

I believe Matrix's are easy on oil, yes. But the UOAs I've seen for Syntec are almost always really good.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: river_rat

I also agree BUT....is a Matrix easy on oil? would this oil hold up equally as well in a more demanding/shearing type vehicle??

what works in one don't always work in all...not bashing.

We've seen this oil perform well in a lot of applications. IMO I think it deserves more credit than a lot of the oils we regularly play/prop up on this board.

I agree. I've seen a lot of good UOA's of Syntec recently. Very good in fact. Seen one on a mazdaspeed turbo direct injection ran for 6k miles that was as good as any other I've seen for that engine, which is known as a brutal platform for oils.

The 1ZZ-FE in the Matrix isn't necessarily hard on oil. Unless I missed it earlier in the thread, what were the driving conditions? Lots of highway? The only thing the 1ZZ-FE has going against it in terms of oil friendliness is its timing chain. Still, like most Toyota engines, it's not all that picky about oil; it'll run great on anything.

My '07 Corolla seemed to like Chevron Supreme/Havoline DS 5W-30 every 5k miles.

I respect castrol oil. In my opinion, castrol is better than mobil 1.

I am running castrol syntec 5w30 on my 2006 camry v6 with 204,000 miles. It is very very quiet. The car response better.

I haven been using castrol motor oil for 3 years. I start with gtx, gtx hm, now syntec.

syntec is the best investment. I do 10,000 - 12,000 OCI. I change my oil at walmart, which cost $55. I am happy with the price I pay.

It is a shame Castrol doesn't get more respect. Real world experience with 2 separate vehicles has made me a Castrol devotee for life. GTX took my '96 Cherokee to 378,218 miles (a head-on collision stopped that momentum)and Syntec has my TSX at 227,000 miles and going strong.

I have an '08 Element that I'm currently trying Pennzoil Ultra in. I might hop on the BITOG bandwagon and do a UOA on it...or I might just save the money on more important things and go with Castrol, no UOA needed there. :eek:)

Maybe syntec will become ok now that pennzoil has made a group 3 synthetic cool. Even sought after.
grin.gif
I'm running the 5w50 in my chevy now. Smooth oil and easy starts even in the teens here lately.

After running edge in the cavalier, and now in my focus... I'm a convert. I liked the PP, but my focus likes the Edge much better than the Ultra. The snowblower has this syntec 5W-30 in it, and it seems to work good.

yea. castrol is excellent oil. I always change my oil at walmart which cost me $59 total for synthetic..

well I am going to change oil myself. I bought 5qt castrol syntec for $21. $5 toyota oem oil filter.

I will save $33 doing it myself..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back