Castrol Syntec 20w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
When Castrol mailed me their technical data I found it strange that they had a 20w50 listed there, since I had never seen or heard of it. Especially since Castrol has always promoted their 5w50 as being the perfect oil. But if it's so perfect, why the need for 20w50?

I also found it strange that they had 10w40, as this is a very uncommon synthetic viscosity. Only Amsoil and Redline seem to carry it, but no others that I'm aware of.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I also found it strange that they had 10w40, as this is a very uncommon synthetic viscosity. Only Amsoil and Redline seem to carry it, but no others that I'm aware of.

The Syntec 10w40 is one of the grades that my Wal-Mart carries. They now have 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, 5w50, and 20w50. No 0w30 or 0w40.

I was in Wal-Mart last night, and I looked through the oil section to see if by chance they were stocking the "new" grades of Syntec (German 0w30 and Belgian 0w40). There wasn't any of these grades, but I did notice a grade I hadn't seen before: 20w50. I didn't even know Syntec came in 20w50. There's nothing on the Castrol web site about it. It had the same "Made in USA of imported and domestic components" as the other grades, BTW.

Anyone else seen this grade of Syntec?

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
I was in Wal-Mart last night, and I looked through the oil section to see if by chance they were stocking the "new" grades of Syntec (German 0w30 and Belgian 0w40). There wasn't any of these grades,
Anyone else seen this grade of Syntec?

Nope, I checked a local Kmart's stock and all were Made in USA too.

G-Man II 20W50 is the most polular off-the-shelf viscosity here even though Mobil told me last week 10W40 largest seller as that includes dealer sales etc. Castrol RS syn has a 25W50 here, a viscosity I've never seen before. Not for me!

The 20-50 better compares to M-1's 15-50 in terms of viscosity. It is thicker at 40C and not suitable for temps below -10C. But, probably less PP depressants than the 5-50 makes it a better choice in areas with warmer climates. I'm currently using the 5-50...it was -22C (-6F) this morning.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Dr.T where are you? I thought only Oz had M1 5W50 re the better IMO 15W50.

Dr.T lives in the same area as me. We have two 5w50s up here that I know of, one is Castrol Syntec and one is Canadian Tire's Formula 1 brand. Both are group 3 oils.

Yeah, in Australia probably not much use for 5 weight oils period. The 10-30 is just a GM creation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back