Castrol Start / Stop 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy Batman with all these bunch of marketing that bassicly do the same thing .

Can we go back to the basic and keep like this .

For best dino oil : Pennzoil YB

For best HM oil : Maxlife

For best syn : Pennzoil ultra , vanilla Mobil 1

It's been available for a while in Europe, way before Pennzoil announced their new lines of oils. No news here

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by bbhero
Actually... If you read what was stated... A oil like Castrol Professional c3 5w30 makes a lot of sense anywhere practically in the world... Higher HTHS to combat dilution from gas... Lower volatility less than 10 percent to deal with not forming deposits etc etc..

That oil works in just about anywhere people normally live outside of the extremely coldest arctic regions where a 0w would be needed..

If that SN Castrol Professional is the ticket for America's driving habits, then why are we not using the higher Calcium / lower Magnesium brew here for TDGIs / GDIs?

Why are all the major oil jug producers pushing Much Lower Calcium / Much Higher Magnesium SN Plus / Dexos 1 Gen 2 and volatility above 12/13?
This amateur oil aficionado, will be all ears and eyes, for this thread's remainder. I need to know what to buy next.

You nor I know what the additive package is here.... Ca+ or Mg+ ratio or amounts is truly not known by you... Or me...

So... There is that...

Mobil 1 was using a higher magnesium lower calcium additive type package in their oils for a long time prior to SN+ and all the LSPI issues started up... And certain Castrol oils did have a similar additive package like Mobil 1 prior to SN+ GDI turbo boosted issues has well. PQIA tested Castrol Syntec full synthetic 5w30 in 2013 and that oil had 1,400+ ppm of magnesium and 790 ppm of calcium.... That oil was Dexos approved and API SN....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by postjeeprcr
Castrol had a oil marketed as Startup way back in the early 2000's here in the USA.

https://www.aftermarketnews.com/castrol-launches-new-gtx-start-up-motor-oil/

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/24-john-force-30-years-racing-castrol-93827326

Wasn't that early Castrol offering almost 20 years ago, intended to combat cold startup.versus the new oils offered today tailor Start/Stop, referring to the new technology that saves fuel and stops the engine at idle, then restarts the engine at acceleration?

Last edited:
This 5 litre bottle of Castrol Magnatec is from the UK.

Weirdly, it's usually cheaper to buy Castrol Edge 5w30 LL which carries the same certs.

Oil makers will promote the slow sellers and sounds like Edge is currently being promoted there. However, it's hard to unseat a product that works and here in the USA, Magnatec Syn has a nice size group of followers and believers, known especially for being a fuel dilution fighter and engine quieter.

My Hyundai 2.4 was quieter with Edge, than currently with Valvoline Advanced and I still have another 2K to go, with this OCI. That's the only difference I see or hear, when comparing Advanced with Edge. The hearing difference is small and may be attributed to 50 degrees difference in weather temps.

The only way to be sure, is to reverse the test and run Advanced next summer and Edge next winter. But I won't do that. I have two OCIs coming with Pennzoil Platinum GF-5....... then I'll buying the new arrival GF-6 oils next. Brand uncertain!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back