Castrol Magnatec vs Edge Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
So, marketing.
Marketing works well on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Some have to have the best and some don't.
Define the best? best marketing? Bet price ??? As long as the oil keeps the pars separated and truly meets the specs.

I’ve used them both and I can tell you the Magnatec has a very different smell compared to any of the other Edge products. (Additive rich comes to mind). I’m using it in our ‘17 EB Expedition based on KJ Smiths UOAs and will until the warranty is up. Then, maybe switch the Edge 0w40 which I’m using in my ‘11 EB (120k miles).

It is not just marketing they are different oils made to sell at a different price point versus the competition. If it were the same oil beng poured in different colored jugs, at different prices, that would be just marketing.

The GTX Magnatec synthetic oil product competes with Mobil Super Synthetic. It is an older Castrol formulation that lets them compete at a lower price point. They are neither companies’ best synthetics. But all the oil companies have price tiers. Shell does not have a Pennzoil branding that competes in this arena. They have Quaker State synthetic at twenty bucks a jug and under, another Shellp brand.

The Castrol Edge is equivalent to the Penzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 product line.

The Castrol Edge Extended Protection and Mobil 1 Extended Protection are meant for 15,000 mile oil changes. As for Penzoil Ultra Platinum well hard to say really what that is intended for except to sell at the top price point as the other two, since Shell is unwilling to claim extended oil change intervals for it. Shell’s only claim is that it is cleaner than standard Mobil 1. I suppose Shell cannot go too overboard with their Pennzoil brand claims because it competes with their other, Shell Rotella T6 heavy duty brand that they are now marketing for gasoline engines as well as diesel.

No, it's marketing. The email he received was pure marketing mumbo-jumbo.

Intelligent molecules. Magnatec. EDGE. LIVE LIFE ON THE EGDE. GTX. The "X" makes it cool. Extended Performance.

Otherwise they'd all be in gray bottles labeled: Castrol, Castrol Better, Castrol Best, Castrol Best for Longer, and Castrol Super Best. That would still be marketing I suppose, but at least their point would be clear.

Is Magnatec an A5 rated oil? ]My 2018 Santa Fe 2.0 Turbo calls for a minimum of 5w30 A5 but the dealer uses 5w20 SN in all Hyundais..Bulk oil drums at dealership say 5w20 and parts guy (its a Mitsubishi / Hyundai dealership) when I asked for 6 quarts for a 2018 Santa Fe 2.0T tried to sell me Mitsubishi 0w20?? I know I am covered under warranty but who wants the hassle of premature engine failure because the dealer wants to stock one oil and buy the cheapest. After several emails back and forth with Hyundai customer service they admitted 5w30 should be used....but no mention of A5.

Originally Posted By: wdn
The GTX Magnatec synthetic oil product competes with Mobil Super Synthetic. It is an older Castrol formulation that lets them compete at a lower price point. They are neither companies’ best synthetics. But all the oil companies have price tiers. Shell does not have a Pennzoil branding that competes in this arena. They have Quaker State synthetic at twenty bucks a jug and under, another Shellp brand.

You hit the nail on the head. At Wal-Mart they put Quaker State Ultimate Durability to the left of Magnatec on the same level. In my mind I was comparing the two since price was about the same. If I did not prefer one oil I would get the Magnatec. It is more visually appealing and reading about the intelligent molecules makes you feel like you are getting something special. It may not be a better oil, but Castrol is doing a better job at marketing.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
So, marketing.

SEVEN minute abs, man!!!
Why spend EIGHT minutes???

Actually Magnatec seems to be their newest formulation. The recent VOA makes it extremely compelling. I love the additive package they used and low Ca high Mg.

Just an update on this. I'm trying to get confirmation on whether the unique molecules in Magnatec are also found in US Edge. They are in Europe and Australia. Per Castrol USA, they are different additive systems. Also, Magnatec meets D1 G2, EDGE EP does not. Only black bottle EDGE meets D1 G2.

Thread bump and a Goofy question: What if I mix Castrol Edge 0W-40 (A3/B4) with Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 in a ~70:30 ratio (both from Wallyworld)? Would the add packs work together, negate each other, not make any difference? I want the gooder bestest best (at a cheapish price)!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I use Magnatec since it has lower NOACK than Edge.
Call it placebo, but my car loves it the most - way smoother starts, faster warm up (I did measure time and distance comparing to PP and M1) and quieter idle. I did run Edge when it was still d1G1 and it was nothing special, but d1G2 should be different for sure

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Call it placebo, but my car loves it the most - way smoother starts, faster warm up (I did measure time and distance comparing to PP and M1) and quieter idle. I did run Edge when it was still d1G1 and it was nothing special, but d1G2 should be different for sure

Fascinating.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by SlavaB

Fascinating.

Indeed.

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Thread bump and a Goofy question: What if I mix Castrol Edge 0W-40 (A3/B4) with Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 in a ~70:30 ratio (both from Wallyworld)? Would the add packs work together, negate each other, not make any difference? I want the gooder bestest best (at a cheapish price)!
thumbsup2.gif

I can't see you being able to improve upon what Castrol already intended. If you want a cheap 40 grade, run 15w-40.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
So, marketing.

SEVEN minute abs, man!!!
Why spend EIGHT minutes???

Man, have I got a product for you! Have you ever heard of 5 minute abs?!

I run Magnatec 0w20 because of some startup noise. It eliminated it. Maybe it was just the drop in cold viscosity. I chose it because it had one of the lowest 40C and highest 100C viscosities of all the oils readily available and an HTHS of 2.75.

Agree. It does smooth out the "sewing machine" sound of the Honda engine in the GF"s Honda Fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back