Castrol Magnatec vs Edge Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I e-mailed Castrol and inquired if the same "Intelligent Molecules" polymer esters contained in Magnatec are in Edge? The response is in bold. I told them that I know they are two different formulas, but wanted to know about start up polymer esters. If I'm reading this correctly. CS is stating that Edge is great for extreme pressure and Magnatec for start up protection. I didn't expect to get a definitive response.

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol EDGE does not have the same technology as GTX MAGNATEC, the two have different additive systems.

Castrol GTX MAGNATEC has intelligent molecules that cling to critical engine parts like a magnet, providing an extra layer of protection from the start and throughout warm-up that won’t drain to the sump.

Castrol EDGE has a more advanced technology with fluid titanium that provides superior engine wear protection. It provides a higher level of high temperature protection, anti-wear performance, and viscosity stability.

Castrol EDGE is our premium product line.

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the engine manufacturer for the recommended oil (i.e. SAE grade, API service category and manufacturer specifications) specific to your application. This information can always be found in the owner’s manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly
."

Castrol Consumer Relations

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
So, marketing.

That is what I was thinking. I picked up a jug at Wal-Mart today to look at it. Very nice jug, wording, etc. I had a hard time putting it down, almost like it was magnetic.
smile.gif

Dexos 1 Gen 2. What is not to love? It was $21.44. The price was right. It would be fine for my Elantra.

Originally Posted By: Onetor
CS is stating that Edge is great for extreme pressure and Magnatec for start up protection.

They said nothing about extreme pressure.
21.gif

All they really said is that EDGE uses more advanced technology, making it a superior product, exactly as you'd expect since they charge more for it.

True! I shouldn't have inferred anything. Like the previous poster "Marketing".

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
So, marketing.

That is what I was thinking. I picked up a jug at Wal-Mart today to look at it. Very nice jug, wording, etc. I had a hard time putting it down, almost like it was magnetic.
smile.gif

It is like a magnet, I used to pick it up, pay for it and bring it home. Once I found out the little dirty intelligent oil molecules weren't going to go back into my sump during an oil change I said enough.
lol.gif

It was priced about $3.00 less than Edge and Mobil 1 in the 5w-20. Also had something about GDI Turbo on label. My take is it was focused at the GDI Turbo motor oil market or someone with a stop-n-go shorter interval, but wanted to feel they had more protection. Edge would be for longer interval. Looks like I was looking at new stock since bottle design has changed from the Dexos 1 version.

Based on the e-mail one may conclude that you can't drain the oil, via the oil pan. Due to polar attraction to metal. Magnatec is good stuff!

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Magnatec is good stuff!

Castrol Edge is gooder stuff. Castrol Edge EP is Castrol's goodest stuff.

Would that make Castrol Edge Supercar Castrol's gooder goodest stuff?

That's why I'm running Gold Jug right now I'm figuring out what is the gooderest! Not really I got the Gold Jug from Wally World for $17 a Jug last winter.

Magnatec is good stuff!

U funny! Bestest. lol

Magnatec is good stuff!

It's bester to read their website, then the jug label. That should edjumicate you.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Some have to have the best and some don't.

That is what I was thinking. Seems like a great oil for Hyundai or other manufacture's that require a short OCI for warranty. I was eyeing the Quaker State Ultimate Durability which was a little cheaper, but was drawn back to the Magnatec. The graphics were visually more appealing. The marketing claims, even if they do not matter in the long run did appeal to the maternal instincts of taking care of my baby.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Some have to have the best and some don't.

That is what I was thinking. Seems like a great oil for Hyundai or other manufacture's that require a short OCI for warranty. I was eyeing the Quaker State Ultimate Durability which was a little cheaper, but was drawn back to the Magnatec. The graphics were visually more appealing. The marketing claims, even if they do not matter in the long run did appeal to the maternal instincts of taking care of my baby.

I also prefer a jug with the aluminum seal. I know...nit-pick

Magnatec is good stuff!

U funny! Bestest. lol

Kind've like the Extra Most Bestest!!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back