Castrol Magnatec discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like every one has been saying AAP brought the price of magnatec to like $1.85. They had no more left in 0w-20. So I asked the counter guy if he had anymore in the back. He said no, Castrol is discontinuing Magnatec. What gives? Wasn't that a pretty popular synthetic?

Oh okay makes sense. Castrol in the last couple years have spent a ton of $$$ advertising magnatec. Probably more than any other oil I have seen on the market.

Yeah, I isn't think Castrol would discontinue a good synthetic and synthetic blend. If something doesn't sel well; that store will quit selling it

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Like every one has been saying AAP brought the price of magnatec to like $1.85. They had no more left in 0w-20. So I asked the counter guy if he had anymore in the back. He said no, Castrol is discontinuing Magnatec. What gives? Wasn't that a pretty popular synthetic?
Never take what auto store employees tell you as fact. Most know next to nothing about automotive matters let alone what their company is doing.

Originally Posted By: car51
Yeah, I isn't think Castrol would discontinue a good synthetic and synthetic blend. If something doesn't sel well; that store will quit selling it

I think the Magnatec didn't sell well at AA because it was $17.88 for the 5 qt. jug all summer at Walmart (vs. $7.49 a quart at AA).
I do think it's a very good oil which was a screaming deal at WM..

Very true sir and thanks for pointing this out
smile.gif

in other forums the talk is of new 0w8 ad 0w15 oils coming out soon..so probably will be a few oils discontinued to open up shelf space in certain brick and mortars.

Right on pbm. Magnatec at Wally world being such a low price was a crusher to AAP. I think Magnatec is a great deal and a near top performer given the numerous good UOAs that we've seen on here.

They were out of the $1.85 0w20 at AA today but they had 5w20 and 5w30 also on CLEARANCE for $2.95....I passed as I have enough oil..

I honestly don't see how the parts chains stay in business. Their oil stays on the shelf till it's covered in dust and cobwebs,then they have to clearance it for next to nothing. Can they not sell their oil at Walmart prices? I'd think their only moneymakers are the auto parts they sell.

I have the impression that only the 0W20 is being discontinued. As an aside, I haven't seen gold bottle Edge in my area for a while either.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I just called Castrol and they said- absolutely not!
So it must be AAP instead.

+1 You REALLY trusted the counter kid?
33.gif

I just bought 50+ quarts of the Magnatec 0W20 for $1.85 each from a few different AAPs, you can't beat that price for a full synthetic.

I got 12 cases of 0W20 and 4 cases of 5W30 FULL SYN... I used 10$ and 5$ Speek Perks on each purchase so I got them for less then a dallor a case.... Plus I have more coming in...
smile.gif

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I honestly don't see how the parts chains stay in business. Their oil stays on the shelf till it's covered in dust and cobwebs,then they have to clearance it for next to nothing. Can they not sell their oil at Walmart prices? I'd think their only moneymakers are the auto parts they sell.

If you get the specials they are not bad prices.. For Instance 34$ 5Quarts of Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 Oil filter......

so yea walmat sells that oil cheaper but they get you on the oil filter.... Also you dont have to park 1 mile away from the front door and then get into the door and have to walk to the back of the store then have to actually check yourself out and walk all the way back to your car... So at least AAP stores that have specials each month.. The deals are not bad.. Plus they have Max Life for 24$ with a Pure One oil filter...

If you want cheaper they have Carquest 21.99 with a carquest filter.....

So your correct.. If you just walk in AAP and yes the oil is dusty b/c its a parts store and trust me I have dusted the oil and by the end of the day its full of dust again..... I dunno why...

Anyways.. If you walk to any parts store and just grab oil and a filter and not get a special then your doing to pay way more.

Also AAP has buy 1 quart get the 2nd QT 50% OFF.. So thats not that bad..

Remember your paying for convince... Also many people come into my store and have no idea weight of oil to use... Some people come in and have no idea what year there car is or even what engine is in the car..
Many times I have to go outside and get the VIN# to make sure i get the correct information....

but thats a different conversation there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back