Castrol Magnatec 5W20 5k mi 17 Honda Ridgeline @55k

Second sample from my Ridgeline. Much better and unremarkable. Using a Fram TG7317. Changed oil when the sample was taken with Magnatec 5W20 and left the filter for another 5000 mi.

Glad Cu was low. Our Pilot had slightly elevated Cu as well. Will be sampling it at 55,000 mi as well which should be later this year.

Pilot Thread

Last Ridgeline Thread

Attachments

• DACA413E-6949-4427-9216-3D8F452F0F20.jpeg
    DACA413E-6949-4427-9216-3D8F452F0F20.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 755
Do you follow the OLM and Hondas every other FCI interval?

Thanks!

That flashpoint looks suspiciously high. I would ask for a retest. New Magnatec is in the low 220C range so the 455F value is higher than the new oil.

That flashpoint looks suspiciously high. I would ask for a retest. New Magnatec is in the low 220C range so the 455F value is higher than the new oil.
Yeah it is, but I think between that and the viscosity I’m comfortable that I don’t have a fuel dilution issue.

I wonder if the slightly thicker (5W) gave you less wear metals vs the previous 0W?
I kind if wondered that too. But no real way of knowing unless I switch back and send in another sample. Probably won’t send in another sample for another 25,000 miles or so. But still it shows Magnatec as stellar in this engine.

It will be interesting to see the results from the next sample from our Pilot (same engine, same age/mileage). I’ll be pulling it in a few weeks. I switched it to 5W20 for this fill, but it has spent its whole life on Mobil1 instead of Magnatec.

This is from our ‘17 Pilot:

428FF4AA-A24B-419C-B1F5-4B6CB3C56460.jpeg

I kind if wondered that too. But no real way of knowing unless I switch back and send in another sample. Probably won’t send in another sample for another 25,000 miles or so. But still it shows Magnatec as stellar in this engine.

It will be interesting to see the results from the next sample from our Pilot (same engine, same age/mileage). I’ll be pulling it in a few weeks. I switched it to 5W20 for this fill, but it has spent its whole life on Mobil1 instead of Magnatec.

This is from our ‘17 Pilot:

View attachment 44293
Your Ridgeline's uoa blows this one away!! I wonder if the Castrol 5W20 Magnatec protected better than the Mobil 1 0W20? I personally find uoa's absolutely fascinating!! I love uoa threads.

By the way I love the Honda Ridgeline, probably my favorite truck. I've seen some with a slight lift, off road accessories, etc, and they look awesome dressed up like that.

Are you sure this is Castrol Magnatec Oil ? Why no Titanium plus the Calcium number looks skewed ?

Are you sure this is Castrol Magnatec Oil ? Why no Titanium plus the Calcium number looks skewed ?
Are you looking at the 9/15/2019 report from OP, third from the right?

If so, that looks like an old SN or prior oil and most likely not magnatec, because there is hardly any magnesium and calcium is over 2,000 ppm.

SN Plus moved calcium:magnesium to around 1,300:600 and it looks like SP moved calcium:magnesium again to around 1,200:800 to combat LSPI

Back