Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again
I don't get on here much to post but I read all time. One thing I know is there isn't another group of people who know more about oils, and I mean that as a compliment.
On another point, I have another oil question I would like to throw out for opinions. Still driving a 2003 gmc envoy. Currently has about 145000 on the odometer. I drive probably 90% or more highway miles. Put over 20000 miles on her in a little under a year.
I use fram ultra oil filters exclusively just because I believe in them. I just changed out one that I ran for 2 oci's for about a total of 12000 miles. The " change oil" light came on about the last 1500 miles of the last fill of 5 quarts castrol gtx ultraclean 5w30 and 1.5 quarts of castrol gtx magnatec 5w30. Engine sounded smooth on this combo, though I know sound isn't everything.
Current fill is 7 quarts castrol gtx magnatec 5w30 and a new fram xg3675. I'm considering running this out to around 8k for the oil before changing but using the filter for 2 oci's again. Everything I have read on here tells me the filter is up to the task. I'm only wondering if the oil is up to that oci? I am of course considering the 7 quart sump that I'm assuming makes it fairly easy on oil.
Anyone else ran the full syn gtx magnatec that long with decent results?

At 90% highway miles I'd say any synthetic is good for 8000 miles.

Thank you....That is kind of what I was thinking. But I guess a 2nd opinion puts my mind at ease. I add up miles fast with a normal 100 miles round trip commute on the interstate with the occasional 200 mile round trip thrown in. I love my Envoy and just want to take of it the way it takes care of me.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

This 👆 +1

I'm gonna say the Magnatec/Fram Ultra combo will laugh at 8k miles! ...

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

This 👆 +1

I'm with them...

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

This 👆 +1

I'm with them...

The GTX laughs at 8K miles. The Magnatec better.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll definitely run this combo out to at least 8k. Got a good deal on the magnatec synthetic through Amazon subscribe and save. Probably just keep using it as long as the cost stays a decent bargain. I might even consider running it until the olm says time to change.

Last edited:
My son has a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer (the twin brother of the Envoy with a Chevy badge) . I fill with M1 5W30 EP with the same Fram Ultra oil Filter for a one year OCI . Remember the oil life monitor is calibrated for 2003 conventional oil - the oil filter and oil you are using today is much better ! ...You could probably run down the oil life monitor to 0% and then reset it and run it down a 2nd time to 0% before changing the oil !

Under your circumstances I'd be tempted to go 10k on the oil and a filter change everytime.

The Magnatec can do 8k miles.
There were some UOAs posted from an Ecoboost on Magnatec taken to 9k miles and they were fine.

That's probably doable. The olm seems to go about 11k give or take before it goes off. I went through one complete oci and most of a 2nd one before it said time to change. I just ignored it until I changed the oil and filter at which time I reset it.

Originally Posted by SR5
The Magnatec can do 8k miles.
There were some UOAs posted from an Ecoboost on Magnatec taken to 9k miles and they were fine.

Here 👇..9k miles on Magnatec 5/30 and the UOA great.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4118200/Re:_13_F150_Ecoboost,_Magnatec

7.1k miles
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3839330/Castrol_Magnatec_5-30,_7100mil

Another thread👇 on Magnatec, Edge and GTX. All with good VOA/UOA's...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3839330/Castrol_Magnatec_5-30,_7100mil

Last edited:
Thanks Mad_ Hatter..those were some pretty good looking uoa's especially considering they were on an ecoboost. I'm guessing I don't have anything to worry about. I'll probably just follow the olm and see how far it goes. Mine obviously doesn't have any turbo so the oil should be good for my application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back