Castrol GTX High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, new guy first post, great forum. I bought a 96 Grand Cherokee Unlimited 5.2 4X4 V-8 about 9 months ago with 110,411 miles on it, pretty clean vehicle for its age. I changed the oil with Castrol GTX HM 10W-30 with a Pure 1 filter when I first got it. About 3000 later I changed it again with the same oil but this time a Mopar filter. Not sure of what oil was used in the past. I replaced the valve cover gaskets about a month ago and was pretty impressed with how it looked inside. There is some varnish but looks pretty clean to me. i just wondered what you guys thought, and if I should do anything else to clean it up better.

Also Just bought a 92 Honda Accord Wagon with a 2.2 with 166,704 miles on it from an elderly lady who bought it new. The valves seem to tick a little bit. I Changed oil with Castrol GTX High Mileage 5W-30 and a Pure 1 filter. The dip stick was all dark brown with varnish when I got it but after 2745 miles you can see in the picture it already is getting cleaned up.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/harleydavfatboy/Castrol GTX High Mileage/SDC10697.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/harleydavfatboy/Castrol GTX High Mileage/100_3464.jpg

Looks to be doing a great job..
smile.gif

Just keep doing what you are doing. Keep the intervals short for the next 10K miles or so then you can lengthen them if you want.

The Castrol HM is an excellent choice for the Jeep, in fact I have it lined up for the next OCI in mine. You might want to consider the 5w30, the Castrol HM is so thick the 5w30 is thicker than many standard PCMO 10w30's so protection is not of any concern.

Anyway it's GOOD STUFF!

Looks like castrol high mileage is a good cleaner, I can't find any uoa's or voa's on it though, I'm thinkin about usin this in my truck next oci since its a little thicker, I know I've heard 5.3 Chevys like a thicker oil so I'm debating using this, GC or maxlife

Maxlife is good stuff too, but probably one of the "thinner" HM oils. The Maxlife HTHS for 5w30 is 3.0 whereas the Castrol HM 5w30 is 3.3. Defy and Pennzoil HM are also good options, both 3.2 for 5w30.

I am running a 10W-30 GTX HM in a 92' Acura Vigor. The dip stick is also covered with sludge. So far after 4000 km on this oil I haven't noticed any cleaning. Apparently the car was neglected by the previous owner but still runs well.

I changed the Honda oil a couple days ago at 3075 miles. I put Castrol GTX HM 10W-30 in it this time, because I had an open jug in the garage with 4 quarts in it, and used a Purolator Classic this time since Walmart don't have Pure 1's. It still looked pretty good coming out, not black but discolored, but both my vehicles have mostly short city trips. I also cut open the pure 1 filter just to see if any chunks of sludge was in there but there wasn't anything.

The Jeep only has around 1000 miles on it since the last oi change. Even though it has been 3 months, I will wait awhile to change it.

I am not sure how well you can see the pictures I posted but if you can zoom in on them the valve springs on the Jeep had something on them that looks like rust, but would wipe off easily with my finger. Is that just varnish softening up or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back