Castrol Euro oils at Advance - opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Mustang GT 6-speed with many suspension mods, FRPP oil cooler, tranny cooler and Boss 302 radiator. Only 2700 miles on it, and have done 2 oil changes. One with 5w20 MC syn, and one with 5w40 Syntec Edge Eurospec.

Last trip to Advance showed plenty of German 0w30, and also some 5qt 0w40 marked made in Belgium. I have used GC in my Acura TL for years with great UOA's, but would value any opinions on the 0w40 Belgian Castrol (BC?) and is GC as good today as it used to be.

What does your engine spec? I am sure the MC 5w20 would be absolutely fine. The Castrol 0w40 is kind of new so a not lot of people here use it as far as I know but I am sure it is fine and overkill for your engine. The 0w30 is thick for a 30grade and probably the more plausible choice out of the two for your engine.

Your engine specifies a 20 grade. I'd give the 0w-20 tgmo a shot and see how you like it,or the Mazda high moly 0w-20.
I've already done the thicker is better mantra in a mod motor and come to the conclusion its pointless.
I've got a friend with a 2012 gt and we beat the tar out of that car and couldn't get it to go into limp mode due to the oil temps elevating,so I don't think going any thicker will benefit that engine at all unless you are autocrossing and maintain 5000-7000rpm for an extended amount of time.
Just use what they tell ya,in whatever flavour you prefer.

I agree with dparm that you don't need anything as viscous as an Euro oil, but if your already set on going in that direction there's a VOA of the new Belgian Castrol 0W-40 in the VOA section.

My opinion - it's a very pedestrian Euro oil and not worth the price unless you get it on sale or as part of a oil/filter combo. IMHO, M1 0W-40 is a better option if you're really going in that direction.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Your engine specifies a 20 grade. I'd give the 0w-20 tgmo a shot and see how you like it,or the Mazda high moly 0w-20.

TGMO and Mazda 0W-20 are great oils but much lighter than the spec' M/C 5W-20 so they wouldn't be a direct viscosity substitution.
While they would not likely be too light for normal street use it would prudent to install an OP gauge to make sure the specified oil pressure can be maintained for anything like track use when higher oil temp's may occur.
Or simply thicken the oil up by substituting a quart of M1 0W-40 to make a heavier 0W-20. Because the VI will still be over 210 they will still be much lighter on start-up vs a 5W-20.

Thank you.

Additional vehicle and driving style info:

I have the DOHC 5.0L with re-programming by Ford Racing. The mod increased torque off-idle by 60 lb-ft!! It delivers 440 HP and 400 lb-ft. with my exhaust mods. Redline is 7,000 RPM. Crankshaft is forged steel. Pistons hypereutectic. Suspension mods too numerous to list here, but car has FRPP integrated package and lowers the car 1.5". Torsen 2R racing differential added. Barton shifter. Diff uses MC 100% syn 75w/140. Tranny uses formulation Molakule developed years ago for the S2000. Engine has oil to liquid cooling and tranny is air-cooled with an additional flow diverter.

So I have made this into essentially a Boss 302, with more juice down low less power in the last 500 RPM or so. Prefer my suspension so I call mine the CEO 302.
grin.gif

So what? Well Ford now labels a Track Package which has pieces I already added. Then there was the Boss 302. These come with a 5w50 recommendation. Huge diff between this and a 5w20, no?

My car is fast and does its work with tremendous mid to upper mid power, and a torque curve as flat as Kansas. I do some hot laps full bore at Virginia International Raceway a few times a year, but most driving is back road blasts. Always with long warm-ups and cool-downs. Garage is heated/air-conditioned. 2,700 miles.

I believe that fast start-up flow is a key performance indicator of quality oil. So the lower the initial vis, the better. But my ME was based in part with tribology, and maintaining film strength at sustained RPM is another KPI that counts in my book. So I used Syntec 5w40 Euro-spec at my first change, and now want to choose a vis to cling to (pun intended). Hence my question and suggested recommendations. Thank you. RR.

I don't see a need for a thicker oil. If the reprogramming necessitated an oil change, Ford would have told you to move to something thicker (like the 5w50 the GT500 uses).

I don't know if that car has an oil temperature gauge, but I would assume you haven't had any issues with the oil temps climbing north of 300.

Here is my observation--purely anecdotal. While I still have a good bit of the Green Elixer in my stash, since it is 30 wt, I decided not to run it in my Focus since the spec is 5w-20. So I bought some Castrol Edge 5w-20 and had it put in. Over time--a bit of lifter clatter when cold. Just put in Kendall GT-1 High Mileage syn blend 5w-20. Not a hint of lifter noise. I am the first to say this is only a "sample of one" and is purely anecdotal. Nonetheless it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back