Castrol edge cleaning ability?

Checked the dipstick at about 900 miles today after a castrol edge 0w40 fill, already beginning to turn dark and gritty. Prior to doing my own oil changes the car was given whatever bulk syn blend or conventional Firestone carried. Never seen the dipstick darken before a minimum of 3k before. There's a small amount of visible varnish on the oil cap and fill hole I noticed prior to filling.

Anybody had Castrol clean some gunk out?

All oils can clean.

I'd wouldn't extend the interval until you have a couple shorter intervals with 'filter inspection' to see any crud, if any.

Hard to tell what's happening only going on the the color. It could mean it's cleaning, or breaking down faster, although Castrol makes good synth oils. Keep the OCI short, change the filter, then run it again and see what happens. And there's always Blackstone.

Noticed that Castrol EP turned dark pretty fast in the Ford after 8 years on Motorcraft Semi-synthetic. My theory is laying different detergents in there loosens stuff that the previous brand did not.

Considering that it competes directly with Mobil 1 which famously packs a cleaning wallop Edge probably does too.

Castrol Edge EP is a top shelf product. It is highly detergent. No you don’t have to keep the oil change interval short it is specifically designed for extended intervals. That soot that is in suspension after 900 miles was left there by the previous oil you were using. However it is expensive oil.

Castrol Edge EP is a top shelf product. It is highly detergent. No you don’t have to keep the oil change interval short it is specifically designed for extended intervals. That soot that is in suspension after 900 miles was left there by the previous oil you were using. However it is expensive oil.
Well my engine definitely likes it. Starts super easy with no noise even below freezing and sounds very smooth and quiet, even at redline.

Noticed that Castrol EP turned dark pretty fast in the Ford after 8 years on Motorcraft Semi-synthetic. My theory is laying different detergents in there loosens stuff that the previous brand did not.

Considering that it competes directly with Mobil 1 which famously packs a cleaning wallop Edge probably does too.
Maybe a good reason to try a new brand every once in awhile.

Back