Castrol EDGE Bio-Synthetic

Originally Posted By: Solarent
Good catch QP...

"Pioneering with plants to push the boundaries of performance"

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

You've got to love the marketing brain that came up with that one!
I hope it does well.

I recommend watching the videos on the first link.

Should have used "perimeter" instead of "boundaries"...complete the alliteration.

Originally Posted By: Castrol
Made with 25% plant based oil,

Technically, isn't all mineral oil plant based? Just some very very very old plants....
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Should have used "perimeter" instead of "boundaries"...complete the alliteration.

Love it!

Originally Posted By: Solarent
Link from Lube Report

Quote:
The product is 25 percent sugar cane oil and offers the same level of performance as other Castrol Edge products, Ame Cameron, head of U.S. brands and communications for Castrol, told a reporter. She did not mention what other types of conventional base stocks are formulated into the product...

The new biobased oils meet the API SN and ILSAC GF-5 specifications, Cameron confirmed, and will be offered in 5W-30, 0W-20 and 5W-20 viscosity grades. “5W-30 is the largest OEM spec on the market, so it makes the most sense to appeal to the people with that viscosity grade.”

In addition to having a Certified Biobased label from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Castrol aims to have the engine oil qualified as carbon neutral, offsetting the carbon dioxide footprint from the production, packaging, distribution and storage process through parent company BP’s Target Neutral program.

It looks like Castrol is the first to step into the Bio-Synthetic world with a market general product. I've been expecting this for about 2 years, as there are a couple of base oil providers that are creating new bio-based products that have achieved success by proving they can be used as blend stocks.

Based on the Sugar Cane comment, I would bet that they are using NovaSpec base oils: Novvi Base Oils
There is also a company that makes a new base oil called estolides: Biosynthetic Base Oil

If this gains traction in the marketplace, I believe that biosynthetics will be the next wave in engine oil development - there are performance benefits to using 25% bio-content in your engine oils and it also shows a commitment sustainability in lubricants. Just imagine Conventional/High Mileage/Synthetic/Biosynthetic as the 4 tiers of engine oil.
The future is now.

Let's not forget Renewable Lubricants Incorporated or RLI which has produced bio-synthetic oils from mixes of vegetable oils, vegetable oil-derived esters, and real synthetic oils for some time now.

Do they make their own base oils? I spoke with them last year at STLE but don't recall if they were doing their own base oil. In my mind I thought they were also supporting Novvi...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Castrol
Made with 25% plant based oil,

Technically, isn't all mineral oil plant based? Just some very very very old plants....
smile.gif

Yep algae, but plankton too which covers both zoological kingdoms.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
It screws up my long running, and apparently futile, "group III is not synthetic" argument
smile.gif

GTL oils are chemically GRP-3
wink.gif
Hard to argue that they're not synthetic
wink.gif

Thanks for the PDS, QP. If this shows up at Walmart, I'll try it. That 5w30 has excellent Noack...8.5%

Originally Posted By: Dorian
I am interested in using it. As long as it is Dexos 1 approved and I see that it can hold up in some UOAs first.

No according to the PDS it isn't Dexos 1 approved only 6094M. That rating is good up to 2009. There are different Ford ratings on the PDS.

Something happened with my order. I keep getting emails stating, "sorry, your order cannot be placed, please check back in a few minutes."

How is their long term stability ? Like would a ten year old jug of new oil still be OK to use ?

I assume yes given it can survive the rigors of the internal combustion engine.

I have the GET BIO full syn in my civic currently and its held up well in the past and its got more than 25% bio in there. I'm sure the edge will hold up fine, its not some no name brand! Its also api.

Last edited:
From the safety data sheets it looks like they use between 25-50 percent pao basestock in the oils. I like the 5w30 as the pds noted base number of 11.2 with noack of 8.5-sulphate ash content of 1.0 percent. Wonder if that is reason they are not Dextos 1 certified. Thinking of running in my older daily driver 2000 Lexus ls400. Wondered if anyone has ran these oils yet with their impressions.

I've been running the Edge Bio-Synthetic in the three vehicles in my household (2002 Ford 3.8 w/ 140k, 2015 FCA 5.7 w/ 30k, 2000 Mitsubishi 3.5 w/ 310k) for a bit over an interval each. All three have exhibited no increase in oil consumption (none of them had any leaks before and have not begun to leak, none of them burn appreciable amounts of oil and did not begin to do so) and the visible state of the oil both at drain and on the dipstick is similar to that of any synthetic I had been using previously.

I have not sent anything off to a lab and don't have plans to do so.

The Mitsubishi has since been sold to a new owner but I plan to continue using this oil in our other two vehicles as long as it remains available and priced competitively. I know anything marketed as "green" is almost always more expensive up front but ultimately that's a direction we need to head and somebody's gotta start taking those steps. To paraphrase Darwin, fitness comes down to your capacity to adapt.

Last edited:
Everything old is new again.

Castrol is named after he castor oils they made way back in the 1900s. It's funny that they say this is their first foray into bio lubricants given that.

Wouldn't be surprised if this has at least some castor in it, too. It's still a thing in the two stroke world.

Shovel

I am running Castrol Bio Synthetic Ow-20 in two vehicles. 2017 Toyota RAV4 hybrid and 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV.

I plan on UOA for both at next change... probably March/April.

It will be interesting to see the data because I have never found a UOA for the Bio Synthetic.

Back