Castrol Edge 5w40 in a 3.7 Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to do an oil change on the Liberty tomorrow. Saw some Castrol Edge 5w40 on the shelf at Walmart and it got me thinking, would that be a good choice? It has just over 200k on it. I've owned it basically it's whole life and I've always run one of major brands of Dino in it, 5w30 and used high mileage stuff for the past few years. It leaks (and probably burns a little, but never see a puff of smoke on start up or after idling it) about a quart per 1-1.5k. 95% of its driving is highway (sits at one speed for a good 60 miles daily) Thoughts on the switch? Thanks!

I do plan on tending to some of the leaks over the winter when it'll be a fun vehicle and not required to be a DD.

Last edited:
Edge will serve you well. But, Castrol makes a HM 5W40 in quarts. Walmart doesn't sell it. Amazon does, but it's pricey. Original owner? "Basically it's life" is unclear?

I just put some Pennzoil 0W40 in ours. It seems fine...didn't notice any difference from 5W30.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Edge will serve you well. But, Castrol makes a HM 5W40 in quarts. Walmart doesn't sell it. Amazon does, but it's pricey. Original owner? "Basically it's life" is unclear?

Do you 10w40 HM?

I've not seen a 5w40 HM yet. Sounds like a nice oil though.

Originally Posted by Onetor

Got it when it was 2 years old, had about 36k on it. So basically new in my book after 200k and 12 more years!

Does anyone think it'd be bad to switch to a full synthetic at this point?

Why a 40wt? Modern oils, especially synthetics, don't break down and fall out of grade like old oils did. I do not see the need or benefit of a thicker oil in this case. I personally would stick with a 5w/30 or 10w/30 high mileage synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMBoy
Why a 40wt? Modern oils, especially synthetics, don't break down and fall out of grade like old oils did. I do not see the need or benefit of a thicker oil in this case. I personally would stick with a 5w/30 or 10w/30 high mileage synthetic.

Just plain wrong. ISLAC 30 grades shear out of grade. It doesn't matter if it is "synthetic" this has been the case for decades.

I finally joined the thickie club and am using 5w40 made by Citgo in a 2008 Chev 6.0 with 185,000 miles. The 185,000 miles was with synthetic 5w30 of various brands. The hot idle oil pressure has increased by a few psi and is still in the high 30's. The cruising oil pressure is unchanged at 40 psi. I have a jug of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck on tap and then a couple of jugs of Penzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 ready. This magical 6.0 still doesn't consume oil. (Knock wood).
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251

Just plain wrong. ISLAC 30 grades shear out of grade. It doesn't matter if it is "synthetic" this has been the case for decades.

We should be able to prove this one way or another with our extensive collection of UOA's on this forum.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by dave1251

We should be able to prove this one way or another with our extensive collection of UOA's on this forum.
smile.gif

I agree and from what I have seen, I stand by my comment that today's oils do not fall out of grade. We have 0W/20 oils holding grade with 7000 miles+ on them. In addition, Snagglefoot has not come to the present day with his belief that all oils still shear and that synthetics are superior in many ways over conventional oils. Now, I am aware that oil will eventually wear out and shear down but nothing like days past and no reason to go to a thicker oil weight (like a 40) in preparation of oil shearing down. Very few vehicles spec 40wt oils or will benefit from them unless the vehicle has very high miles and a badly worn engine perhaps. Of course I may be wrong and am always open to learn.

Last edited:
Prior to my current oil in my trucks engine was Castrol Euro 0W40. My engine had never run as quiet as it did with that oil in it.
My next OCI will be Havoline PRO DS 5W30. If after using that oil and my engine isn't any quieter, I will go back to a 0W40.
Any good 0W40 oil suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back