Castrol Edge 10w40 -- 1,445 miles -- 2001 Toyota Celica GT-S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought this Celica GT-S 6 speed manual a few months ago from the original owner of 17 years! What attracted me to this vehicle is the famous 2ZZ-GE Engine that Toyota and Yamaha developed together. The engine is so good that Lotus decided to use it in their Elise back in the day... This engine revs to 8,000rpm stock. Mine is slightly modified...
grin2.gif

The car has 205,000 miles but seems to be well cared for by the original owner and was garage kept. Runs AMAZING and is a blast to drive.

It has some minor issues that I need to work out but is otherwise fully functional.

It had a coolant leak and a stuck open thermostat which would never allow the engine to fully warm up. I took a sample of the original oil it came with and then another sample after I replaced a bunch of leaky engine gaskets, thermostat, etc, etc.

The point of this sample is to see that there's no abnormal engine wear or internal coolant leaks inside the engine so I know the block still has plenty of life left in it for me to enjoy without worry. I literally rev it to 8,600rpm DAILY to and from work. I can't get enough of that engine scream. It's addicting.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I always loved those cars! it's too bad Toyota doesn't make sweet cars like that anymore.

Toyota 86?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I always loved those cars! it's too bad Toyota doesn't make sweet cars like that anymore.

Toyota 86?

Definitely a worthy automobile. If only it would have been 100% Toyota but I have nothing against the Subaru powerplant.

Toyota, Toyota...what's happened to you in the last two decades? Nothing against the 86, but it pales in comparison to this which looks better than anything in the present lineup. Wish they'd bring the Celica name back again...with a worthy car under it.

This is back when Japan was still giving us driver's cars

It's a darn shame you can't get this new anymore, but at least there's Craigslist
wink.gif

Be lucky you got the 6 speed, and not the SMT gearbox

Oh the slush box was never even an option for me. In fact, while window shopping, every time I'd see a listing with GT-S in the time but see an auto in the pics, I'd cringe, shake my head in disappointment and move on. There's a bunch of really good condition GT-S's out there but they're AUTOMATIC!!
sick.gif
absolutely a NO-GO for me.

Originally Posted By: csandste
Toyota, Toyota...what's happened to you in the last two decades? Nothing against the 86, but it pales in comparison to this which looks better than anything in the present lineup. Wish they'd bring the Celica name back again...with a worthy car under it.

Agreed. These Celica's are truly a hidden gem that can now be had for just a few grand (3-5k for a really good one)

I also think the design is timeless and that interior flows beautifully and is very comfortable.

Originally Posted By: Artem

Agreed. These Celica's are truly a hidden gem that can now be had for just a few grand (3-5k for a really good one)

I also think the design is timeless and that interior flows beautifully and is very comfortable.

Those are BEAUTIFUL cars!! When I was 14 (1983) my older cousin (he might've been in his 50s) had a brand new '83 Celica Supra. All digital and pushbutton. I loved that car!!

I agree!! Toyota has the sweetest cars on the planet at on time. I too like the FR-S,but it can't compare to the Supra.

I agree!! Toyota has the sweetest cars on the planet at on time. I too like the FR-S,but it can't compare to the Supra.

I agree. The SUPRA was a class above but, I don't believe that the Toyota 86(a.k.a. FRS/BRZ) is a SUPRA type car as much as it is a Celica type.

So, comparison to the 6 cyl w-w/o Turbo SUPRA would be quite different, as in many cases with the later models of SUPRA, they were compared to the Corvette, 300ZX Turbo, Dodge/Mitsubishi-Stealth/3000GT, Mazda RX-7 and some non turbo/earlier SUPRAs were even compared to IROC/TransAm/Mustang in many circles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Out of curiosity, how does this Celica and your '14 Mazda3 2.0L & 6spd compare?

Driving wise... night and day.

The Celica's 1.8L high revving 2ZZ engine compares well to Honda's B Series 1.6L and 1.8L VTEC engines from the early 90s. THE 2ZZ has VVTL-i which is Toyota's version of Honda's VTEC system where the engine crosses over to a bigger cam profile in the high RPM past 6,200 or so. This forces you to rev it sky high to really get any decent power from the engine.

The 2.0L Skyactiv engine in my Mazda 3 feels like a big torquey 2.5L or something in comparison. It easily delivered all of its 150qt down low where as the Celica produces 130qt after the "Lift" is engaged and the engine spins up around 6,800rpm.

They are two different animals, even being so close in displacement. The Mazda 3 is easy to drive around town with all the power you'll ever need by 4,000rpm. The Celica constantly begs to be redlined in EVERY GEAR and is essentially required to get the car moving. Hahaha.

Both 6 speed transmissions are a joy to row thru.

The Celica is also nearly 500LB lighter @ only 2,425LB then the Mazda 3 so it feels like a Go-Cart tossing it around the corners, but the 2,900 pound Mazda 3 also feels light and nible.

I Love them both but if I had to choose, I'd prefer to daily the Mazda 3 and have the Celica as a weekend fun car. Daily driving the Celica GT-S = you're basically always in RACE MODE, chasing that "Lift" crossover @ 6,200rpm, bouncing off the Rev Limiter, while trying to keep up with the minivan next to you. Hahaha. But I'm exactly the type of guy to enjoy this driving aspect, having owned a 2007 Civic Si and S2000 both with high revving 8,000rpm engines and the same dual cam profile power delivery.

I hope I didn't go overboard with my explanation / comparison. Hahaha.

The Celica is also nearly 500LB lighter @ only 2,425LB

Wow, that is light! Stick a small turbo on that thing and it would be a big time sleeper!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman

The Celica is also nearly 500LB lighter @ only 2,425LB

Wow, that is light! Stick a small turbo on that thing and it would be a big time sleeper!
banana2.gif

Wouldn't be much of a sleeper with the Hoosier SLICKS that would be mounted on the front tires, drag racer style, just to TRY to prevent uncontroable wheel spin that will surely plague such a build. Haha.

From what I have read on the forums and various magazines that had this model Celica as a project car is that this engine is quite expensive to modify due to not much aftermarket support and custom everything needed to increase power. There's some superchargers and Turbo kits on the market but I'm not about to boost a 200,000 mile engine. That surely won't last or end well for me.

I'm considering some cams to have a stronger "Lift" crack when the Big cam comes on but at this point, I'm happy with how the car drives and sounds thanks to the intake and custom exhaust, short shifter, coilovers and tune. Will beat on it as is. Maybe some track days if I'll get bored.

Even if you could bump up the power just a little bit to around 225hp (stock is 180 correct?) that thing would fly! I remember how fast 225hp was in a 5.0 Mustang back in the late 80s and they were 3000 to 3200 pounds (and had much taller gearing too I bet)

I mean, with a proper tune, I'm sure it will be fine but I'd rather keep it N/A like Yamaha originally designed it to be.

If I bought the car to build into a dream Celica, I totally would boost it. Unfortunately, I got this beauty strictly for daily beater duty. Will dump it in a heart beat if something better crosses my path. Haha

Kinda hard to believe that considering the oil sheared out of spec after only 1,500 miles of use...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back