Castrol 10-60 for '03 M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't know the # of mi. on that lead count....interesting though...

And, I read the "engine change" memo too, but all the local dealers here in Toronto and in Upstate NY use the 10-60 for the M3's, M5's and the Z8. I was thinking of trying it too, but at $200/oil change, I thought otherwise. Same can be said for paying $50/4L for LubroMoly 5-40 when the stats don't show much difference from Delvac 5-40 or Havoline Synth. 5-40...

In either case, guess Fuel econo. figures go out the window with these vehicles....

I think it is insane that this engine calls for a 10w-60 oil. A Z06 Vette uses a 5w-30, but the engine design must be ok with this weight. I would have no doubt that Amsoil and Mobil's heavier weight oils would do the job, and probably better. Redline would as well. Castrol is not up to the standards when compared with the other top brands. I curious now and am going to ask a friend at work what he runs. I believe he has a 2001 M3.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Castrol is not up to the standards when compared with the other top brands.

Castrol's synthetics commonly available in North America aren't capable of running with the top brands, but the TWS formula is a whole different ballgame.

It would be interesting to see some analysis results from these motors.

I have sent the used oil from the 1200 mile required oil change to Blackstone. There is a difference of opinion on whether this is a different break-in oil (from the 10-60)or not. Have not got a straight answer from BMW. I will post all comments from Blackstone when I get them. Changed oil at around 1150 (1200 required) and will change it again on 1/30/03. There is Castrol 10-60 in it now for sure.

[ January 03, 2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: ScottM3 ]

I noticed these new Castrol RS oils on the shelves at Supercheap recently. 0W40, 5W30, 25W50 and 10W60. Pretty expensive stuff. Maybe not a Group III basestock, I'll research it a bit.

Not sure how much relevence this has to the Castrol basestock issue, but as they're now owned by BP, would this have influenced them not to buy basestocks off a competitior ?

Had an interesting experience at work the other day, looking for an oil for a fluid coupling transmitting 9000hp. Started talking to Castrol, and the BP tech rang me back with the answers.

1st oil change on '03 M3 SMG
Here are the results from Blackstone:
Miles on oil: 1150
Miles on Unit: 1150
Sample date: 11/13/02

Comments:
Oil had an SAE 50W viscosity @ 210F, NO gas, moisture or anti-freeze present. Oil could have been in longer use

Elements in PPM:
Aluminum 5
Chromium 0
Iron 9
Copper 5
Lead 2
Tin 0
Molybdenum 4
Nickel 0
Manganese 3
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 124
Silcon 7
Sodium 3
Calcium 1208
Magnesium 472
Phosphorus 688
Zinc 734
Barium 0

Sub Viscosity @ 210 should be between 90-115, was 94.8, Flashpoint should be above 380, was 395

ANY COMMENTS??!!

Where's all the ZDDP?
confused.gif

I know NOTHING about oil other than it's wet. Explain what you are talking about. I'd like to learn what to look for?
Thanks
Scott

Scott, try posting your results in the used oil analysis section to get more comments (if you haven't already).

ZDDP shows up in Zinc, and Phosphorous and this oil is a bit low compared to typical oil these days. It's an Anti-wear additive.

Is theis the Break-in Oil used by BMW and the owner is required to change out between 1-2k mi.??? Maybe that's why the low ZDDP numbers...allowing for some wear in the first 1-2k mi. and the manual will spec. out driving restrictions during this time...eg. speeds below 100 mph, no rpms over 3500, etc....

Yes this is the break-in period, BUT, the oil from the factory is 10-60. Break-in rules: under 5500 rpm's, under 106 mph, no steady speed ect.
Scott

My question is: Why mess with the recommendation?? Just use what the doctor, aahemm BMW, ordered and be worry free!!
quote:

Originally posted by ScottM3:
I'm new to this forum so this topic might have been covered before. I just purchased a '03 M3 BMW, had the oil changed at 1200 (a must) and sent a sample into Blackstone Labs. I want to keep a record of the oil condition & engine condition from the get go. BMW recommends Castrol 10-60 from now on ONLY!! What do you think about this?? I will only use that oil, a must, to keep it under warranty. BTW, this engine has had bottom end problems. (not mine)

"TWS formula"...."whole diferent ball game".....please explain. what is TWS formula??
quote:

Originally posted by mdv:

quote:

Castrol's synthetics commonly available in North America aren't capable of running with the top brands, but the TWS formula is a whole different ballgame.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
"TWS formula"...."whole diferent ball game".....please explain. what is TWS formula??
quote:

Originally posted by mdv:

quote:

I think most of us will agree that the Castrol Syntec line of synthetics is a waste of money and the top quality oils like Mobil 1, Amsoil and Redline can run circles around it. I also think things change when you add Castrol TWS into the mix. This oil is not commonly available in the U.S. execept through BMW dealers. It's a formula that is prevalent in the European market and I suspect it is a PAO, not Group III and should be able to hold it's own against the top tier synthetics. If you go to Castrol's Eurpean websites you can find some generic info on it.

Everything I've said is pure speculation on my part, as I haven't really seen any baselines or results from the 10W-60. The one posted above is the first one I've seen, but the motor is still breaking in, so it's hard to gather any real info from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back