Castrol 10-60 for '03 M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this forum so this topic might have been covered before. I just purchased a '03 M3 BMW, had the oil changed at 1200 (a must) and sent a sample into Blackstone Labs. I want to keep a record of the oil condition & engine condition from the get go. BMW recommends Castrol 10-60 from now on ONLY!! What do you think about this?? I will only use that oil, a must, to keep it under warranty. BTW, this engine has had bottom end problems. (not mine)

[ December 30, 2002, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: ScottM3 ]

First of all, nice car. Guy at work has a 6speed 02 M3 and loves it. This maybe comparing apples to oranges but stock Vettes come with 10w-30 Mobil 1. Are you sure BMW only wants this oil in there ONLY? And why is BMW using Castrol? Castrol is not even a true synthetic like Mobil,Amsoil, Redline etc....let the experts chime in on this. If it were my car, I would run and 30wt. oil from Amsoil or Mobil. Mobil 0w-40 would be a choice too. I'm curious to what people say about this. Good luck.

[ December 30, 2002, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Bottom end problems is an understatement! (yours should be fine).
http://members.roadfly.org/jason/m3engines.htm is a good site. New extended warranty from BMW and a U.S only M3 engine recall. Particles/residue from production process being transferred from oil pump to oil and sayonara rod bearings. Several hundered engines to be replaced. I'd be staying with 10W60 but you may want to check Penrites new 5W60 syn which is available in the Texas in the U.S.

Why the heavy oil though? German engineering!
lol.gif

Just kidding.
wink.gif

[ December 30, 2002, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Pablo: It is an unusual oil, but it's also an unusual motor. They definitely spec Castrol TWS 10W-60 ONLY. When those engines fail, they tend to go big. I know of one person who's blew up at 120 m.p.h. at Watkins Glen
shocked.gif

Scott M3: Look into joining the BMWCCA if you haven't already. You can save tremendously on parts from various dealers and you should be able to find the oil at a reasonable price from some of them. The also have a fantastic range of driving activities so you can learn and play with your new car.

[ December 30, 2002, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: mdv ]

Buster: BMW and Castrol have a marketing agreement. The BMW 5W-30 is not the same as Syntec, though probably still Group III. I believe the TWS 10W-60 is exactly the same as it is in Europe and should be a "real" synthetic, especially at $12/qt. It's also only available through BMW dealers.

One of our fine customers from Singapore, has generously posted his results using the Castrol product known as RS 10w-60 under the used oil analysis section here for a look at a 4 Cyl TOYOTA Camry. I believe this is the same product mentioned in this thread.

Interesting. Now I'm NOT advising a BMW to do this (especially under warranty) but I fail to see why a good synthetic 20W-50 (Redline and Amsoil come to mind) would cause this motor to die....hmm....

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
One of our fine customers from Singapore, has generously posted his results using the Castrol product known as RS 10w-60 under the used oil analysis section here for a look at a 4 Cyl TOYOTA Camry. I believe this is the same product mentioned in this thread.

Terry, I think you're right, the RS and TWS are interchangeable labels.

Thanks for the advice.
Yes I was trying to be NICE about the bottom end problems. It seems they had a major screw up in 11/01. Most of the problem solved but still updated the bottom end again on the 11/02 build cars (mine 10/02 build). I will be keeping a close eye on the oil over the next 5000 miles. Like I said oil changed at 1200 service (had 1050) and will be changed again on 1/30/03 maybe about 2500 miles. Will send them all to Blackstone. I was just surprised at the weight of this oil. 10-60 does sound very heavy, but they have extended the warranty on my engine to 6 years, 100,000 miles. BMW wants between 12 and 16 dollars a quart for it. The local auto parts shops don't carry it.
Anymore advice is welcomed!!

I was wrong the oil we tested for Ken4 is a 10w-50 not 10w-60.

Very good analysis though.

Correct....10-60 is the CORRECT grade for the new "M" engines. Aside from the "particulate matter" comment, it was simply a matter of time before a few of these high revving swiss clocks finally blew up before it was realized that the water-thin 5-30 recommended for pedestrian bimmers couldn't stand up to the task. I've heard that most were broke from over-revving...in either case, this oil is from the U.K. and I'm not sure if it's real synthetic or not, but it does come in a Castrol bottle (unlike the gray-bottled 5-30 BMW oil). As far as I've heard, they started calling group III "synthetic" in Europe way before they started doin it here...but, at $16/L (Can.)...who knows.... And I agree, you could probably do just as well with Ams 20-50 or M-1 15-50, etc...hmmm....those are the grades they were recommending in the 80's and early 90's....interesting...

Ooops, forgot to add...I found this from the above site:

"One possible sign of impending failure is a high lead count in the oil. Blackstone Labs sells kits that test oil for various elements. If your lead count is significantly above average (3 ppm), your engine may be nearing failure. One owner showed 14 ppm lead just before his engine failed"

What would the lead be from?

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
I've heard that most were broke from over-revving...

Dr. T: BMW initially claimed owner abuse and over revs as the cause when the failures first started happening. That stopped when the SMG cars experienced the same problems. The guy I posted about who's engine went at Watkin's Glen has an SMG equipped car and that particular engine failed under acceleration.

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
Many people think that RS 10W-60 is still recommended for BMW M-technic engines. It is a myth. BMW recommends only Castrol RS 10W-60 for only pre-3/2000 S62 engine. The rest of M-technic engines call for the "usual" 5W-30 oil, BMW part #07-51-0-017-866. See the link below:

http://www.sts.sae.org/servicetech/july-2001/tech-tidbits-01.pdf

Note the date of this "tech tidbit": it's July 2001. BMW has since modified its oil recommendations in light of all the E46 engines that were self-destructing on the 5w30 that comes in other Bimmers. The M3 now gets the Castrol 10w60.

10w60 may shear down to 5w30 at redline and be safe. Before the 5w30 will shear down the the boundry layer and if the zinc/phosphors doesn't protect it, will seize up. Who knows!

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Ooops, forgot to add...I found this from the above site:

"One possible sign of impending failure is a high lead count in the oil. Blackstone Labs sells kits that test oil for various elements. If your lead count is significantly above average (3 ppm), your engine may be nearing failure. One owner showed 14 ppm lead just before his engine failed"

At what mileage interval though? 14ppm of lead over 10,000 miles wouldn't be as alarming as 14ppm of lead in 2000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back