Castrol 0/40 Amazon

Today I received a 5qt jug of Castrol 0/40 from Amazon. I was surprised to see it on the label "made in Belgium" previously only the one quart bottle said that the jugs they send me the USA previously.
Now I have used Castrol 5/40 euro gold 5qt jug. Made in USA from foreign and domestic products.

All 0W-40 Castrol that I have purchased has had a "Made in Belgium" label, 5qt jugs included.

Out of curiosity, does it mention having BMW LL-01 on the bottle?
My recent purchases, no. All have said "Made in Belgium" though, even some pretty old stock. Still has MB 229.5 and Porsche A40 so its no slouch.

When LL-01 tweaked the requirements, they eliminated most/all 0W-40 and 0W-30 oils. Primarily for "insurance" that they reach the longer OCIs without oxidative effects of added VIIs and PPDs over time. However, I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them for those OCIs if I don't have other issues to worry about more than oxidation, ie; fuel dilution, nitration, water etc.

Sorry to bump a older thread but ,I noticed Castrol has a updated pds on A3/B4 0w40. It's now BMW Longlife-01 & MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5

I still believe that must be a typo. We all know Castrol NEVER makes a mistake in their PDS. Hard to imagine they made the certification with an 0W-xx oil. LL-04? Maybe. No matter though as I'll keep using it. Amazon had it available for $24.59 a couple weeks back and I ordered 7 more jugs. Now it's not available except through Amazon resellers for $65 a jug :rolleyes:.

I still believe that must be a typo. We all know Castrol NEVER makes a mistake in their PDS. Hard to imagine they made the certification with an 0W-xx oil. LL-04? Maybe. No matter though as I'll keep using it. Amazon had it available for $24.59 a couple weeks back and I ordered 7 more jugs. Now it's not available except through Amazon resellers for $65 a jug :rolleyes:.
Plus my favorite, Edge 5W-30LL with 504 00 and has fallen off the face of the earth for some reason.

0w40 A3/B4 does not mention Bmw LL. Do you think it's a typo on the A3/B4 5w40 ?

On the back of the bottle of the 5w40 it mentions Bmw LL 01.

U1wFuUV.png

The 5W-40 is LL-01 approved. The 0W-40 is not. BMW modified the LL-01 certification around 2018 to address possible oxidation issues over long OCIs with 0W oils. Probably more of a CYA thing though MHO. Again, if my engines were not prone to other issues, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for the longer OCI. It's pretty good stuff.

Last edited:
Product Performance Claims
ACEA A3/B4
API SP
BMW Longlife-01 MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5 VW 502 00 / 505 00
Renault RN 0700 / RN 0710 Meets - Ford WSS-M2C937-A

No A40?

Back