Case of Fram Extra Guard filters--should I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
95% is good enough for this cat. Wix and Napa Gold are 95% at 20 microns as well. Not too shabby. But yeah it's not the Nuclear Titanium Ultra Fusion Powered Oil filter that's 99.9999999999999999999999999% @ 15 microns that is rated for 50k miles
smile.gif

If you're doing 7.5K drains using syn oil, then saving a few pennies on the oil filter seems unimportant.
In the Fram line, I'd move up to a TG which you might well find at a similar deal. Check Rock as well, since they often have deals on oil filters and even with shipping they can be really cheap.
You can often also take advantage of clearances and store deals to get decent oil filters cheaply.
I used the orange can for years, though, and it should be equal to the OEM recommended drain intervals for any application listed by Fram.

Personally, I'd use the Wix made Super Tech filters from Walmart over an orange can. They're under $3. However, I'd probably go with a higher grade filter. I usually prefer to use something that at least has a silicone ADBV.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
95% is good enough for this cat. Wix and Napa Gold are 95% at 20 microns as well. Not too shabby.

Sorry none of those would ever touch one of my engines!

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
Yeah, I've seen that...but I honestly don't know if that is marketing or what. I mean, Jiffy Lube still recommends 3000 mile OCIs, so I'm a little skeptical of the 5000 mile number from Fram. But who knows...

They would do that. They want cars through their doors to have oil changed. Extended OCI's mean lower profits.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
$2.06/ filter at NAPA

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PSW21348MP

Ooh! Now that's a pretty good deal. I may have to check those filters out.
Amazing how that filter is $2.98 at my local Cincinnati store, more expensive than the identical Wal-Mart Super Tech. Of course, there's also NO walk-in business at any of the local NAPAs when I'm by them, either!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back