Cars and trucks which are cheapest to insure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 19 year oold son needs some cheap wheels to get back and forth from University.Which vehicles are the cheapest to insure?I was looking at a Ford Ranger truck.What should I look for in that model or Ford truck for greatest reliabilty?

brianl703: Thanks for posting this website. I have 3 Honda Elements and I forwarded this site to my State Farm Agent and told him I thought I was paying to much. Just got my premiums lowered $100 per year on each vehicle.

Thanks again
cheers.gif

Quote:

brianl703: Thanks for posting this website. I have 3 Honda Elements and I forwarded this site to my State Farm Agent and told him I thought I was paying to much. Just got my premiums lowered $100 per year on each vehicle.

Thanks again
cheers.gif

Good stuff there Johnny! You drive a hard bargain!
banana.gif

My Grand Prix is slightly less to insure than My Corolla Matrix was. I pay State Farm $123a month. It helps to have Front and Side Air Bags Traction control and ABS.

Interesting how the chevy cobalt 2 door and 1-ton silverado are both "E"s for worst liability. (Liability will be the biggie with a young driver.)

The chevy corvette is a "B", suprising, but the hyundai tiburon an "E". A "punk kid" sports car is much more expensive than a "gentleman's".

Too bad that chart only covers newish cars. A ranger strikes me as nerdy: ergo, cheap to insure. Look for aftermarket support of all the race/rice junk... and skip vehicles with too much of that available.

I just got renewed and have 2 identical saturns on my policy... same year, engine, everything: The rate for my wagon is 20% less. Looking at ford focus-es reinforces this. Go for a 4 door at least if you get a car.

Having something non-flashy reduces nuisance traffic stops too.

My Corvette is suprisingly cheap to insure. I pay only $109 a month for it ($98 US!) and it would be even less if I didn't drive it every day (rates are about 10-20% higher for a daily driven car that goes 18k a year compared to a pleasure driven car)

Quote:

The chevy corvette is a "B", suprising, but the hyundai tiburon an "E". A "punk kid" sports car is much more expensive than a "gentleman's".

because mostly old farts can afford a vette. nothing against you patman
hide.gif

I'm a 21 year old male that drives a '99 Ford Crown Vic. Full coverage for me is $97.10 per month. I believe this is one of the cheapest, if not "the" cheapest car to insure. The car was pampered by some elderly people, I purchased it for $6,300. A very reliable ride, the 4.6L V8 is great and easily gets 25mpg on the highway. The ride quality is excellent.

I used to drive a '94 Mazda Protege, I paid MORE money for JUST liability only...

I have friends that own cool Honda's and stuff, but they pay 2, 3x's, if not more for insurance. Meanwhile, they enjoy a buckboard ride while I ride in comfort. I believe this car is the best kept secret and is one of the best used car buys on the market (especially if you buy from a nice elderly couple!).

^ Word. I had a cutlass ciera when I was young. Great insurance rates and plenty of pep too with the 3300 V6.

Quote:

I'm a 21 year old male that drives a '99 Ford Crown Vic. Full coverage for me is $97.10 per month.

The savings between car payments, insurance and having no love life will pay off by the time you're 25!
cheers.gif

Seriously, a Crown Vic/Merc or a LeSabre are going to be my son's only choices by the time he turns 16.

Quote:

Quote:

because mostly old farts can afford a vette. nothing against you patman
hide.gif

I'll be 37 next week, so I'm almost an old fert
smile.gif

My '94 Buick Regal was dirt cheap to insure...I miss that old car.

It definitely had Low Ego emissions.

My wife makes fun of me for liking all the "blue hair" cars.

I think the Mercury Grand Marquis is another hidden bargain...like the CV. Lots of old folks driving them...that 4.6 doesn't even get worked. Plus, it has the optional "easy to see" digital dash.

Saturn S-Series. Just be prepared to learn the ins and outs of that car, and get your hands dirty every other month or so, fixing oddball problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back