Carry/CCW permit in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife may want. Is Union County NJ. I don't need. I know NJ is "horrendous" with the 2nd Amendment.

Anything she should know? And she goes to local PD/Court/Public Safety building as the first stop, correct?

I'm sure this will be fun.

If the cops ask her why she needs a gun tell her to respond with, why do you need one. Follow that up with am I allowed to exercise my first amendment right? Then why not my 2nd?

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I don't think many people in NJ are granted CCP's.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut

If the cops ask her why she needs a gun tell her to respond with, why do you need one. Follow that up with am I allowed to exercise my first amendment right? Then why not my 2nd?

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I don't think many people in NJ are granted CCP's.

You are correct...

ok, She is a singer and would be leaving various events at different locations at different times of day and night and would be interested in protecting herself against crazy people and anyone looking at her like they looked at our Honda in Newark. So it is not like there is "no reaaon." Could have cash on person, etc.

I agree that NJ will attempt to deny or stonewall. ??

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Read the info at usacarry.com for New Jersey. It is fairly comprehensive.

I just read it and it really doesn't say much except for the regulations. I think the OP wants to know if this request is at all possible or will his wife just have to accept that NJ is denying his wife one of her rights guaranteed by the Constitution?

Here's an overview. It's not pretty...you need to establish the "urgency" of why she needs to carry...self-defense is not sufficient. I would recommend that you take an NRA-approved concealed carry course in NJ and talk with the instructors. Your local gun shop would have information on it was well. Perhaps best to start with the permit to purchase, your local shop is going to be far more interested in helping a customer....

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/new-jersey/

Application for a for Permit to Carryis made to the police chief where the applicant resides or to the Superintendent of State Police if the community does not have a police chief or if the applicant is a nonresident. The licensing authority makes a recommendation to a judge of the Superior Court who grants or denies the permit. The judge may also place restrictions on the permit. The permit is valid for two years and costs $20.

The applicant must meet the requirements of the Permit to Purchase and FID, provide personal information, be fingerprinted, prove his familiarity with the use of handguns, have three reputable people knowing the person for at least three years and have a “justifiable need to carry a handgun.”

A description, including serial number, of every handgun which the applicant intends to carry must be provided. Only one permit need be obtained for all such handguns.

NOTE: Issuance of the permit is almost completely discretionary, and New Jersey courts have upheld the policy of strictly limiting permits “to persons specifically employed in security work . . . and to others who can establish an urgent necessity for carrying guns for self-protection.”

Last edited:
Holly Cow..... I thought you could CCW in any state without reason? As long as you got a permit.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Here's an overview. It's not pretty...you need to establish the "urgency" of why she needs to carry...self-defense is not sufficient. I would recommend that you take an NRA-approved concealed carry course in NJ and talk with the instructors. Your local gun shop would have information on it was well. Perhaps best to start with the permit to purchase, your local shop is going to be far more interested in helping a customer....

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/new-jersey/

Application for a for Permit to Carryis made to the police chief where the applicant resides or to the Superintendent of State Police if the community does not have a police chief or if the applicant is a nonresident. The licensing authority makes a recommendation to a judge of the Superior Court who grants or denies the permit. The judge may also place restrictions on the permit. The permit is valid for two years and costs $20.

The applicant must meet the requirements of the Permit to Purchase and FID, provide personal information, be fingerprinted, prove his familiarity with the use of handguns, have three reputable people knowing the person for at least three years and have a “justifiable need to carry a handgun.”

A description, including serial number, of every handgun which the applicant intends to carry must be provided. Only one permit need be obtained for all such handguns.

NOTE: Issuance of the permit is almost completely discretionary, and New Jersey courts have upheld the policy of strictly limiting permits “to persons specifically employed in security work . . . and to others who can establish an urgent necessity for carrying guns for self-protection.”

What the heck, thought Christie would have fixed things ?

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Good advice
wink.gif

Carry permit in NJ? LOL and ROFL!!!!

Good Luck. You're going to need it. I've still got friends in NJ and they say basically unless you're famous or have political connections forget about any CCW permit. They don't like to give them out and almost always find a reason to deny.

That being said, PA is great, and you only need to have a heartbeat and not either mentally crazy or a felon to get a CCW permit. And we can open carry too.

Christie is....... Well I don't want to get banned so I will let u determine what he REALLY is. Something about a wolf in clothing.

And to anyone that lives far away from the Northeast, let's just say that many of those states are not gun friendly. I now completely avoid DC and Merrieland because I am terrified that maybe one bullet has found its way under a seat cushion and my family doesn't have millions for lawyers to get me out of jail. Yeah it's THAT bad.

We're working on changing the laws in NJ. Right now it's a may issue state, which requires judicial review and a private citizen needs to prove imminent danger. Unless she has been threatened and there are independents to witness, don't count on it.

I'm not for every last irresponsible person being given CCW, but the NJ laws are overly restrictive. As I said, were working on it.

The ridiculous part is that retired cops can get them without any review.

I now completely avoid DC and Merrieland because I am terrified that maybe one bullet has found its way under a seat cushion and my family doesn't have millions for lawyers to get me out of jail. Yeah it's THAT bad.

Really? Please cite to back that up. Thanks.

Few years back Michigan was the same way and it wasn't fair between the county's. One county (Macomb) just about everyone got the CCW and neighboring county (St. Clair) no one could get one.

See the link in my earlier post. No need for me to take any chances since I am not going to review every law in a state that OBVIOUSLY wants to blatantly violate my rights as determined by the Supreme Court who mysteriously does not take action on this.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

You are correct...

ok, She is a singer and would be leaving various events at different locations at different times of day and night and would be interested in protecting herself against crazy people and anyone looking at her like they looked at our Honda in Newark. So it is not like there is "no reaaon." Could have cash on person, etc.

I agree that NJ will attempt to deny or stonewall. ??

General Custer had a better chance at Little Big Horn.
56.gif

Your not even supposed to have a cased and unloaded firearm in your vehicle unless your are headed to or from a range or hunting and only in a locked trunk in our great state. And the ammo is supposed to be separated from the gun, gun in the trunk ammo in the back seat. We're one step away from signing our own guns out at the police dept. to use them. And. You might need "just cause" to do that. So a ccw permit is very unlikely.

Originally Posted By: Chuckinator
Your not even supposed to have a cased and unloaded firearm in your vehicle unless your are headed to or from a range or hunting and only in a locked trunk in our great state. And the ammo is supposed to be separated from the gun, gun in the trunk ammo in the back seat. We're one step away from signing our own guns out at the police dept. to use them. And. You might need "just cause" to do that. So a ccw permit is very unlikely.

Correct on all points.
I'm a hand gun and rifle owner.

^^ [censored].

Thanks, all.

Perhaps PA is looking more and more attractive. We have not paid rent since our car was stolen..

1. We feel "unsafe" (*depends on who is asking)
2. That was too great a loss.

So.. we both are going to move, together. (Likely.) They put up a new sign in front of apt complex. "High Street District." Like they are ignoring all car theft...

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
^^ [censored].

Thanks, all.

Perhaps PA is looking more and more attractive. We have not paid rent since our car was stolen..

1. We feel "unsafe" (*depends on who is asking)
2. That was too great a loss.

So.. we both are going to move, together. (Likely.) They put up a new sign in front of apt complex. "High Street District." Like they are ignoring all car theft...

Yes,moving out of Newark is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back