Carquest Red

Status
Not open for further replies.
For most apps they are WIX filters, which you'll find most on the forum like, also sold by NAPA.

Really, any filter can do a sub 5000 mile OCI, and I have run the NAPA golds out to 7500 miles with no hesitation and they look good cut open at the end of it.

Originally Posted By: jediwebmstr
Any opinions on the Carquest Red filter. Is it decent/any good for a 3000/4000 OCI?
Yes! Very similar in construction to the Napa Pro Select and ProTec filter supposedly sold at O'Reilly. Made by Affinia/Wix.

Carquest has excellent quality filters, even the cheap ones, and at a very competitive price. I don't hesitate to use Carquest filters in any application, including using the cheap ones on occasion for 6,000 mile oil change intervals.

Thanks for the feedback.

Carquest has 5 quarts of house brand oil and a Red filter for $11.99. Wasn't sure about either..the oil or the filter.

Originally Posted By: jediwebmstr
Thanks for the feedback.

Carquest has 5 quarts of house brand oil and a Red filter for $11.99. Wasn't sure about either..the oil or the filter.

Nope, you'll be fine on both.... just as long as this isn't for some sort of high performance or severe duty use.

Carquest oil is bottled by Ashland, the same place where Valvoline comes from. Any differences between CQ and Valvoline branded oil are very minor and will not matter over the course of a normal OCI.

The CQ Red filter is made by Wix to CQ's specs, same as Wix makes the Napa ProSelect to Napa's specs. Both are very similar if not identical to each other.

The CQ oil & filter will do fine on a normal OCI and application. I have been using Napa brand conventional oil (which also comes from Ashland) and ProSelect filters for a long time now, but I plan on stocking up on the CQ oil deal before it ends.

My only experience is with one we removed from a recently purchased used car. Although it doesn't affect filtering efficiency, I was certainly not impressed with the thin metal used in the cannister. It collapsed on itself just using hand pressure to try and remove. The filter wrench finished destroying it. I wouldn't buy one if I had a decent alternative available.

Took one off an 01 Civic with an end cap wrench with no issues, it was service station installed. Cut it open after a ~5k OCI and it looked fine, very similar to the brands I posted earlier that have had pics posted here.

Somewhat on-subject question:

Does CarQuest have an online catalog available? Every other major parts place seems to but CarQuest does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back