CarQuest Red 85372 Cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Car Quest Red (Fram made by date code) from my 2002 F150 5.4.
3740 miles on the oil and filter, 6.5 months use, mostly short trips. Valvoline NextGen 5w-20 oil (2 qts makeup oil).

I know CQ are now made by Purolator, so this does not apply to new filters, Fram made these for about a year for CQ during their switch from Wix made to Purolator made.

Nothing special about the can, red date code (A50681) is a Fram code (made March 9, 2015). Thick can (tried using a pipe cutter to open it, did not work well, ended up using dermel)

All the parts (Hey, a Fram with metal endcaps!):

This is where the ends meet, no crimp, just glued together.

It is sealed down inside, but looks bad at first glance.

Nice spacing (the dents in the media are from me)

A little wide spacing, but not bad overall (again, dents from me).

Ahhhh! Holes and louvers! Oh the Humanity!

Dome end spring bypass:

Pliable Nitril ADV, no cuts or rips.

And the baseplate.

I have another one on the truck right now with 3 qts 5w-20 NextGen and 3 qts 5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum (2011 stock). Just using up extra qt bottles I have. I also have one more Wix made CQ Red after that.

Those "louvers" next to seam on the center tube are from the manufacturing process. Filter looks pretty good. I like the "ears" on the top end cap to center the media element inside the can.

The seam should be glued much more securely than it is and for less than 4K miles and 7 months, I give it a meh. Thanks for the C&P.

Yeah, I read how the louvers are part of the manufacturing process, I wonder if that is just a Fram thing? I have no issues either way so long as it flows.
I saw those ear things and thought it was an interesting way to keep it centered.
Like I said, I saw the seam and was a little worried at first, then took a screwdriver and stuck it in the seam and it was solid.

For the price I can't complain. It was a Rock Auto clearance for $1.39, with shipping it was ~$2.50 (actually got 8 filters, 5 Wix made CQ Blue for the car, and then 3 CQ Red, 2 Fram and 1 Wix (which I may use on my brother-in-laws truck now that I think about it)

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Yeah, I read how the louvers are part of the manufacturing process, I wonder if that is just a Fram thing?

Apparently. Motorking verified it's part of the manufacturing process for the center tube.

Quote:
The seam should be glued much more securely than it is and for less than 4K miles and 7 months, I give it a meh.....

+1 And while the pleat spacing/uniformity around the seam pleat and elsewhere looks better the other CQ red posted HERE recently, still not great 'imo'. I've generally not been impressed with what I've seen of the CQ Red anecdotes posted. Blues have looked ok.

Thanks for c&p.

Yeah, not a filter I would do on a long interval, I would say 5000 miles max. I am fine with what I paid for it and my OCI.

I saw the post by Car51 and was part of the reason I decided to cut it open just to compare. Mine was an early 2015 filter, his a late 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back