CARQUEST #84502, CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
... There have been photos posted in this forum of how much rubber covers the holes in a case like this ... approx 1/3 of each hole is covered by the ADBV. That reduces inlet hole flow area, which increases delta-p across the whole filter ... At any rate, I wouldn't want all the base plate holes 1/3 covered up. ...
How the cuts increase the hole coverage is not clear. In any case, blocking one-third the total inlet hole area will not significantly affect overall pressure drop.

Nobody has answered my question whether testing has proven such cuts actually allow "drain-back."

Blocking off 1/3 the flow area isn't helping, just like choked down louvers - both cause some increase in flow resistance, therefore causing more delta-p. I'd rather use filters without added delta-p due to bad engineering or sloppy quality - subpar products aren't worth using to me.
grin2.gif

The CQ Blue is priced as a premium filter, these photos show it is anything but one. The ADBV cuts are just a sign of poor Puro QC (no deburring), and there are MANY better filters available for far less money. If it can't handle a 7000 mile OCI, might as well use a Premium Guard or other jobber filter.

Not good. Post like this definitely steer me towards a high end filter for all my oil changes on every vehicle. Thanks for the C&P. The actual oil itself didn't look too bad for the miles.

Could it be that the ADBV needs to be pressed against the inlet holes at all times EXCEPT when the oil pump is turning?
The ADBV will deflect as much as needed.
This assumes the thing was actually designed...and why not? Wasn't the bypass pressure thoughtfully designed into the filter?

Burrs chewing the ADBV is something I'd bet wasn't designed into the filter.

I bet the factory assembly line workers know about the cuts. But who wants to make the engineer who comes to work in a suit and tie, who designed the new geometry with sharp holes, look bad? Not so much poor QC, but a design problem. The factory is putting the valve in according to the design. I don't think the old Purolator company ever had such problems.

Originally Posted by Kira
Could it be that the ADBV needs to be pressed against the inlet holes at all times EXCEPT when the oil pump is turning?
This assumes the thing was actually designed...and why not? Wasn't the bypass pressure thoughtfully designed into the filter?

The portion of the ADBV that is pressed up hard against the sharp holes isn't going to move with oil flow - it's being pinched hard by the spring in the end cap. The rest of the ADBV will lift up with oil flow since that part of the ADBV is not being pinched between the base plate an end cap, and that portion of the valve is thin and pliable.

Yeah, no engineer in his right mind would purposely design the ADBV to partially cover the inlet holes with sharp edges that cut into the rubber.

The portion of the ADBV that is pressed up hard against the sharp holes isn't going to move with oil flow - it's being pinched hard by the spring in the end cap. The rest of the ADBV will lift up with oil flow since that part of the ADBV is not being pinched between the base plate an end cap, and that portion of the valve is thin and pliable.

Yeah, no engineer in his right mind would purposely design the ADBV to partially cover the inlet holes with sharp edges that cut into the rubber.

Yes that reminds me of the old cartoon Designed as, Built as!

If there are burrs on the tapping plate big enough to slice an ADBV like that, what happens if a piece of metal breaks off during a bypass event, gets into the galleries, and wedges itself in a babbit bearing (rod or main)? To me, the first rule of an oil filter is like the Hippocratic Oath-"First, do no harm". No oil filter at all would likely be an improvement over these, & I'm still praying they aren't going to destroy Wix quality like they have Purolator. Wonder how garbage filters like this would go over "en Deutschland"?? My guess is-NOT GOOD.

Originally Posted by anndel
Thanks again for the many C&P! Not using CARQUEST filters even if it was the last one on Earth.

Yeah, I'll use Auto Extra or a FRAM extra guard

Originally Posted by anndel
Thanks again for the many C&P! Not using CARQUEST filters even if it was the last one on Earth. unless they were made by Fram/Champion or pre-M&H Wix.
FIFY-although the old ones are becoming harder & harder to find.

I have a good stash of Wix and Frampion made CQ Blue 84899 oil filters I accumulated shortly fter the CQ supplier change to Purolator.

I have 2 of the Wix made 84185 Blue for my Scion still.
While they are getting old (both made in 2014) they have been stored inside, so no temperature swings and controlled moisture.
I have debated filling them with oil and storing them since they would stay "fresh" almost indefinitely then.

... Blocking off 1/3 the flow area isn't helping, just like choked down louvers - both cause some increase in flow resistance, therefore causing more delta-p. I'd rather use filters without added delta-p due to bad engineering or sloppy quality - subpar products aren't worth using to me.
Has it ever occurred to you that any normally functioning ADBV blocks a lot more than one-third at low flow rates? If the coverage fraction drops to only a third at high rates, it's insignificant. The resistance of the threaded nipple through which oil exits the filter "isn't helping," either, but it's not a big problem.

The sloppy manufacturing that leads to sharp burrs on the holes is different issue---especially if it actually results in drain-back.

Has it ever occurred to you that any normally functioning ADBV blocks a lot more than one-third at low flow rates? If the coverage fraction drops to only a third at high rates, it's insignificant.

Don't know where your coming up with that. A normally functioning ADBV flexes easily and opens up with very little effort, so it adds vertually no delta-p. A normal ADBV design also doesn't bear down and permanently partially cover the inlet holes.

A normally functioning ADBV also doesn't block any of the inlet holes when it flexes open - all holes are unblocked when the valve flexes and opens from oil flow. Next time you go filter shopping look at a bunch of different filters and see how much of the base plate hole area is permantly blocked by ADBV material. I'm talking about ADBV material that will not lift due to oil flow. Any time you see half moon cuts in the ADBV from sharp base holes, then some of the hole area is being permantly blocked.

The resistance of the threaded nipple through which oil exits the filter "isn't helping," either, but it's not a big problem.

The outlet hole in the base doesn't even come in to the flow restriction picture because the ID hole of the threaded mounting stud is the flow path at that point. And that's a point of least resistance in the oiling system.

Thanks for posting. Glad I saw this as I was considering using this brand... and isn't this supposed to be the Higher End of their House brand Carquest Filters??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back