Carmax new 30 day return policy. What the catch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve returned a car to Carmax. Very easy process no catch. It’s actually much faster than buying the car.
I can't imagine it lasting for too long. Harry Homeowner wants to build a deck but doesn't have a truck to haul the lumber and supplies for the 4 weeks it will take to build. No problem. Let buy one from Carmax and return it after it's completed. Cheaper than a rental.

No different than the people who bought a big screen TV from Best Buy to watch the super bowl and returned it afterwards. Pretty sure they cracked down on that.

People tend to be inherently lazy, especially is you give them a little time (look at the number of rebates that are never sent in). While a car is in a different category, I'd still bet this will end up a sales win for Carmax.

I can't imagine it lasting for too long. Harry Homeowner wants to build a deck but doesn't have a truck to haul the lumber and supplies for the 4 weeks it will take to build. No problem. Let buy one from Carmax and return it after it's completed. Cheaper than a rental.

No different than the people who bought a big screen TV from Best Buy to watch the super bowl and returned it afterwards. Pretty sure they cracked down on that.
I actually asked that question, buying a car even with pre-arranged financing is enough of a pain in the ass to discourage it. People who can easily whip out a few grand to put a massive down payment or buy the car outright have enough money to rent cars and the value of their time makes that cost prohibitive.

People that would do this for financial gain are only going to maybe be able to do it once or twice in a long time because they’re probably at the low end with regards to their FICO score and multiple hard inquiries in tight succession is going to make securing a loan impossible. Plus I’m sure Carmax has the right to refuse selling you a car.

Same reason why Enterprise doesn’t charge you if you return a car with bald tires. Yeah people have rented something with the same size as their car and swapped the tires at their buddy’s tire shop but it’s a significant rarity the juice by and large isn’t worth the squeeze.

Last edited:
You can say that again. My wife has been interested in Hyundai Palisades lately, so I decided to check them out on Carmax today. A 2020 Palisade Limited with 20k miles is $1,000 less than a brand new 2021 Palisade Limited's MSRP. More than likely you can get a brand new one for less than a used one at Carmax.

The used car market has been like that for years When I bought my Subaru, it was only like $3000 more to get a brand new one than one that was 4 years old with 48K miles.

The discount on a new Palisades and the Telluride are pretty much $1000.00 to $1,500.00 off MSRP without much negotiating. The issue being is after walking out of a Hyundia/KIA dealership you have to immediately take a shower to get all the "sleaze" off. You don't at Carmax-which is one of the reasons they have been so successful.

I am a Hyundai owner and they tried to pull a couple of "sleazy" moves on the finance contract when I bought my wife's new Santa Fe Limited XL in 2017.
For some reasons Palisade/Telluride’s have stupidly strong resale value probably tied to unanticipated demand and limited supply that will be worked out. Typically Carmax is $1500 more than if you negotiated among quite a few dealers/sellers. $1500-2000 isn’t that much money to me especially thinking about the fact that I buy car what? Every 4-7 years? Not having to spend the time peckering around with the 4 square nonsense, cheese ball car salesmen blowing up my phone, hidden fees, or other dealer bee Ess is well worth the additional cost. Making more money is easy making more time is not. Now if I was 23 year old single guy again and had the time and not the money I can see wheeling and dealing making sense.

“As long as the condition is consistent with when you purchased it and you’ve driven fewer than 1500 miles since your purchase, you can bring it back within 30 days and we’ll help you complete your return. Any refunds due back are typically mailed within 2 weeks of your return date.”

It would be easier and cheaper to just rent a big ol’ box truck or U-haul and make one trip.

Is there some catch to this? Get ALL your money back? No $500 service charge or nonrefundable processing fee? What's to prevent someone from picking up something nice to drive around for a month and just returning it? Or going on a 3 week vacation and buying something and returning instead of getting a rental?
Vehicle return aside, what about the loan part of this transaction? Is it equally easy/no-hassle to cancel/get out of the resulting loan with no penalty?

My guess is most people don't pay cash.

Vehicle return aside, what about the loan part of this transaction? Is it equally easy/no-hassle to cancel/get out of the resulting loan with no penalty?

My guess is most people don't pay cash.
My experience was yes, we returned the car about 6 days after purchase, I used the same FCU for our next purchase for a few days it showed up that I had two loans on my account page but then that disappeared. Our credit union seemed to act like this was pretty normal stuff when we called them and the loan was cancelled. One caveat is trade ins, not sure how that works since we didn’t sell them the old car (it was totaled in an accident) they cut us a check for our down payment in the dealership.

Last edited:
We bought a car there last year, and I test drove 13 cars previously with my son. We ended up buying him something elsewhere, but it was nice because there was little pressure to buy. I liked being able to find things outside of this area and having them shipped in to see, and they again didn’t pressure me to purchase. The vehicle we bought was shipped in at no request, and the extended warranty paid for itself. The moment they handed me the keys, I handed them back with a list of fixes. The salesman looked at me and said, “well played, it will probably go to the dealer for these repairs,” and did. New moonroof, several electric door locks, battery, fuel pump recall, and radio repair.

their business attitude may vary from store to store - ours treated us well enough. Yes, I could have saved probably up to $1000 if I’d known exactly what I wanted and then went for private sales or searched around a while, but in the end, with the additional repairs they did, the convenience and level of care from them worked out.

For some reasons Palisade/Telluride’s have stupidly strong resale value probably tied to unanticipated demand and limited supply that will be worked out. Typically Carmax is $1500 more than if you negotiated among quite a few dealers/sellers. $1500-2000 isn’t that much money to me especially thinking about the fact that I buy car what? Every 4-7 years? Not having to spend the time peckering around with the 4 square nonsense, cheese ball car salesmen blowing up my phone, hidden fees, or other dealer bee Ess is well worth the additional cost. Making more money is easy making more time is not. Now if I was 23 year old single guy again and had the time and not the money I can see wheeling and dealing making sense.
The question you didn't address is if the 20,000 miles is significant or not verses a new one with probably less than 20 miles...or so. In addition you have the powertrain warranty issue. First time buyers is 5years/100,000 miles and second or subsequent owners get 5 years/60,000 miles.

The question you didn't address is if the 20,000 miles is significant or not verses a new one with probably less than 20 miles...or so. In addition you have the powertrain warranty issue. First time buyers is 5years/100,000 miles and second or subsequent owners get 5 years/60,000 miles.
Ohh it definitely is, I would buy new if available, personally. It’s just like some of the ridiculous Tacoma prices on the used market. Why people pay that much for a used car when often times a new one is 5 grand more I’ll never understand. There are some ripoff deals at Carmax but they’re few and far between by and large most cars are a 1500 premium over dealer negotiated prices without all the dealer bs. I was just saying those used prices aren’t really that off for the Palisade/Telluride. For a while people were selling used ones for near and above new price. (https://jalopnik.com/who-is-paying-these-wild-dealer-markups-on-hyundai-kia-1841130938)

Ohh it definitely is, I would buy new if available, personally. It’s just like some of the ridiculous Tacoma prices on the used market. Why people pay that much for a used car when often times a new one is 5 grand more I’ll never understand. There are some ripoff deals at Carmax but they’re few and far between by and large most cars are a 1500 premium over dealer negotiated prices without all the dealer bs. I was just saying those used prices aren’t really that off for the Palisade/Telluride. For a while people were selling used ones for near and above new price. (https://jalopnik.com/who-is-paying-these-wild-dealer-markups-on-hyundai-kia-1841130938)

Well I know that we won't be buying a used one anytime soon. If the price is that close when it comes time to buy we'll go with a new one.

The reality is CarMax price premium and 30 day return policy is still way better than buying a new vehicle decided you don't like and trading it back in.

Reactions: CKN
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back