Care for New Leather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since forum+consensus is *almost* an oxymoron, I'll just say this: If you take care of your leather, many OTC products do an excellent job. I've had good luck with Meguiar's gold class spray, as an example.

I'd have to go along with Lexol also. I would like to try Zaino's leather stuff sometime, but when I bought my new leather covers the manufacturer recommended Lexol on their covers. So far it seems do to a fine job.

Leatherique is a great product but its best suited for leather restoration or deep cleaning. You can use Pristine Clean on a regular basis but its pretty expensive and hard to get.

I'll second the recommendation of Lexol. Their products are mild, reasonably priced and available at most auto parts stores.

Murphy's Oil Soap- cheap, avaialable everywhere. I use it on my everyday car and 10 yrs later the leather is still soft, pliable, and looks great.

That's fine in Milwaukee where the sun and UV rays aren't a problem. But look at the where the other posters live, and you'll see why the fuss. I needed to recover the leather seats in my 95 Mercedes after 8 years becasue of splits in the leather. The car spent 7 years in Florida as a lease car (meaning nobody bothered to wax the car or treat the leather).

This is what I use for my detail business:
To clean: water/Woolite (6:1) (add any APC if stubborn stains persist)
To condition: Four Star (www.premiumautocare.com) or Pinnacle (www.autogeek.net).

Ive been using gliptone leather conditioner, which seems to do good. Its very thick and rich.

The added benefit is that it keeps the leather scent in the car... if you like that...

JMH

How often are conditioners applied? I've seen recommendations of monthly in summer months.

Ive heard same from my GF, who, though she has never owned a leather seat car, has ridden horses in the USVI for years, and has significant experience dealing with and maintaining leather.

JMH

Leatherique/Prestine Clean. Same people, great service. Used it to clean a forty year-old saddle, wonderful. Use it on all leather now. If it'll live through a polluted Dallas seven-month summer, it'll live through anything. I use it on all of of our cars. The wifes jeep leather looked like the passenger side at 95,000 miles: new. My truck at 110,000, new . . and better than when I bought it with 86,000.

LEXOL doesn't begin to compare, and I used it for over 20-years.

As to price, buy in quantity. Use in small spray bottle.

The manual for my Totota Kluger/Highlander does not recommend any treatment for leather upholstery other than an occasional wash with mild soapy water. States that sufficient oils are used in the tanning process. Tend to agree.
Roger

I use the Meguiars gold class leather mild cleaner/conditioner for our new Jetta. It is a one step process and smells nice as well. I didn't want to use a harsh cleaner on brand new leather, I was more interested in the conditioning. As the vehicle ages and the leather gets dirty, I will switch to a two step.

Clean it with a 6:1 solution of water and Woolite and apply a quality conditioner. From what I have experienced I would suggest Lexol or Turtle Wax.

Tim, You didn't say what kind of car you have, but I would go to your dealer and see what the car manf'r wants you to use. MB and BMW and RR, have special needs and they sell their own tested, products. You may think that it doesn't matter, but it does. If you have a white or lighter color leather, you won't want to use some products, as it will darken the leather.

I have had experience with most all of the above products and they are all good. You have a NEW car and you want to keep it that way. I have used a product called Connelly Hide-Food, for my new leather and older well maintained RR, BMW, MB and pre-WWII interiors. It's mild and just what you need to maintain your new leather.

Hope this helps.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back