Car Title Washing Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JTK
I suppose there's a benefit to buying from big name dealerships. There's no way they'd assume the legal risk of selling such a vehicle and even if one slipped through the cracks, they'd have to make it right.

With big bucks on the line you're their friend until you're a liability then they'll cut you off. Bigger players have bigger lawyers and can stall, delay, and frustrate justice. Few have the resources to do without their car, make payments on it, get another car, and wait for the lawsuit to go through.

Some dealerships are still family affairs-- with the coked-up heir running his dad's name into the ground.

I like private party sales where the title's a few years old and the car is obviously showing why its being sold, even (especially) if it's got one foot in the grave.

Those in the greatest danger finance and don't even see-- don't ask to see-- the title until it shows up years later. Yeah it can be "dirty" but they'll just keep that car on the lot with an extra spiff on it for the salesman for a buyer who's just happy to get financed. Or, yup, could appear clean-- the more expensive the car, the more hassle they'll go through.

Originally Posted by PimTac
This is a big reason I don't buy used vehicles. I buy new and run them till the wheels fall off or circumstances change. Unless you are a buyer who knows exactly what to look for, the used car market is full of bear traps.

Yes, buying a used car is risky. That is why it is very important to protect yourself from buying a lemon by being more informed and aware of what to look for when buying a used car. To sum it up, you've got to check the following: vehicle history report, car interior and exterior, and bringing along a trusted mechanic to do the car inspection with you.

Originally Posted by MarkM66
So many car jackings in the news. What are they doing with these vehicles? They're somehow getting a new title? But what about the VIN, it's going to be shown as stolen right?

Some stolen vehicles are sold using VINs that were copied from legally registered vehicles. It sometimes takes years before the paperwork catches up with the crime. You can prevent yourself from being a victim of this scam by verifying if all the VINs on the vehicle really match. Run a VIN check on the frame, the driver's side door, the dashboard, and the paperwork for the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back