Car shopping, part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Base

Earlier last week I did an inventory search and located a silver 3.8 Base 6-speed coupe at one of my local dealers, and went to drive it on Friday. I got the Mazdaspeed 6 all shined up with full hair and makeup to see what they'd offer me for it.

I guess my research skills are slipping, as I wasn't aware until I arrived that ALL 3.8 coupes come with leather. I vowed a long time ago that I don't want leather, so....strike 1.

It's a sharp handling little coupe, and I really like the interior, minus a complete lack of headroom in the back seat for someone my height. This 3.8 had none of the 'wandering' tendencies that I noticed in the 2.0 from last weekend. The 6-speed has shorter throws than pretty much anything I've driven in years and it had a very positive feel to it. I came away slightly disappointed with the power. It lacked the frenzied urgency I've experienced in the G35 and G37 coupe when you prod the pedal. That 3.8 is no VQ. It felt as though Hyundai may gave gone a little too far in their attempts to give it a totally linear powerband. There were no surprises as the tach swept the scale. At over 300hp, this car is obviously heavier than the handling lets on. Overall, I was not blown away as I expected to be. Strike 2.

The final decision maker happened when the salesman had me park the coupe directly behind my car. When we had gone back inside to let the bean counters work their calculators, I looked out the dealership window and had a clear view of the cars parked together...perfect for helping me decide which one I like better visually. A feeling washed over me that forced me to ask myself why I was even considering trading my car on something that in no way looked any better. It didn't help matters that I had just come from getting the MS6 inspected and every tech in the shop stopped by to make a fuss over my car and ask me questions about it...and inquire how I'd managed to only have 9300 miles on it.

Then, the unexpected. The dealership's General Manager did my appraisal. He didn't know I was watching, and as he drove my car away, I got so sick to my stomach I thought I might lose my lunch. The phrase "what the f*ck am I doing?" kept repeating in my head as it disappeared down the street.

So, by the time they were ready to talk numbers, I had taken a fine-toothed comb to the white 2.0 Premium coupe on the showroom floor, and done a little mental math of my own. I came to the conclusion that a Genesis Coupe wouldn't be replacing my car and that an automaker will have to cough up something better than this to get me to trade. I like the Genesis, but not enough.

Their initial offer: Genesis 3.8 base $23,999 + TTL. MS6: $14,000. I was left with the impression that there was a LOT of wiggle room in both these numbers. They even offered to transplant cloth seats into the 3.8. This dealer was ready to make a sale. Unfortunately for them, I wasn't.

I think the Mazda Speed6 is a nice car with enough room, power and an AWD system to boot.

Why are you considering to replace it?

Speed6 to Genesis coupe. Honestly, I wouldn't do it either, and I rather like the Genesis coupe.

Your Speed6 is fast, decently agile, and practical on top of all that. The Genesis isn't entirely practical. More of a commuter toy or a weekend fun car. Not the fast-yet-practical Speed6.

I saw a Genesis coupe at the mall yesterday. I`m really impressed! Looks like it`s built really sturdy and most of all it`s rear wheel drive.

I think you need to find a cheaper hobby than car shopping... I can fully understand the attraction of new wheels but to get anything new that compares to a mazdaspeed6 is going to cost you alot of money!
Go autocrossing with your 6 or something, you will not believe the grip your car has with a set of kumho V710's. Your car would probably beat a McLaren F1 if it had street tires on it. All for $1000 including rims... +$30 a weekend...
Going autocrossing with some sticky tires keeps me happy driving a P.O.S., much cheaper than getting something better for the street just to get worn out from commuting...
Ian

I've been a new car addict since I reached driving age. I'm 39 years old and the Mazda is my 16th car since I was 16. That's a lot of trading, and a lot of money down the drain. Believe me, I'm not in denial about that.

I guess the situation I've finally reached is that there isn't anything in my price range that's worth trading for when you consider all my current car offers. I guess I should be happy that I've finally bought a car that makes me that happy. I'm not at all unhappy with it...I really like it in fact. I was just attracted to the G35-esque looks of the Genesis combined with good power and RWD. I thought it might be a fun car, but as it turns out, it's just not a good trade. I've never regretted any of the trades I've done in the past, but I think I would've regretted this one. When I start to second-guess myself, I have no problem backing out.

At the rate I'm going, I could easily end up with a paid-off Mazda with around 20,000 miles on it, which would be a very sweet situation. It came with a 7/100 powertrain and I bought a 5/60 B to B so I'm covered in all directions. For now, that's the direction I'm headed unless someone comes out with something better than the Genesis. But as I approach my payoff date, I think the greater temptation will be to keep it and bank my monthly payment. It'll be the first time since 1987 that I've owned a car outright. :)

Good choice. I think the Genesis is a good car, and a heck of a step-forward for Hyundai, but I wouldn't trade a Mazdaspeed ANYTHING for it - 6 OR 3. Both are amazing performance cars!

I had that same gut instinct last year, and I wish I'd followed it.

Granted, my old beater was OLD.... 243000 mile jeep. But I would have likely been happier sinking $ into a replacement engine, heater and ac core than I was with the ordeal that followed.

It's interesting that when all is well and comfy in car-land, you take for granted just how comfortable you can be with the vehicle. You see something else and daydream abot how cool it is, but it may lack a ton of traits that you've happily gotten along with in the current ride.

Good for you. Keep it.

M

Are you my clone? I think I'm also on my 16th (give or take a few) -- but I started when I was 17.

The Speed6 is a sweet ride. I'd keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back