Car going to be driven a LOT less....which strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I finally got accepted to Campbell Univ, Buies Creek, NC(Pre-pharmacy), and wifey got accepted to Pharmacy at the same. So we'll be moving there in 2 weeks.

My car, the 97 T-Bird 4.6L with 97k miles, and wife's 2003 Elantra with 15k miles will be driven a LOT less from now on: peobably lots of times a week IN the campus, and occasionally a work trip of ca 40 miles once/twice a week.

The Elantra is dealer-maintained, so no new strategy option there.

For the T-bird, I currently have M1 5/40 in it(2k miles on oil), and I don't know when I'll change it next. But when I do, what sort of oil changes (interval/brand) would you recommend while in college?

I thought of going with 6-month oil changes with MC 5/20 or GC(if I can find and afford it), and driving the Bird at least once a week for an hour at 80 mph to prevent short-trip abuse/sludging etc.

Can the MC 5/20 handle a short-trip driven, 6-month oil change?...or do I need something more robust, like MC 10/30 or Pennz.HM 5/30?

Suggestions/comments are thankfully welcome.

PS: last uoa on the bird with GC was good/ok(Pb was just a little too high, but nothing serious according to Terry; I switched to M1 Tr/suv 'cause GC had vanished from AZ; Then got interested in MC 5/20 due to all the super uoa's...Hence the hope in MC 5/20 for the future)

The only advice I have is to stay away from Buies Creek, NC. There is absoultely nothing to do there, except for entertaining friends that is.
sleeping.gif

Of course you are going for school, so you are more dedicated than the average student.
smile.gif

Good luck.

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:
The only advice I have is to stay away from Buies Creek, NC. There is absoultely nothing to do there, except for entertaining friends that is.
sleeping.gif

Of course you are going for school, so you are more dedicated than the average student.
smile.gif

Good luck.

-----------------------------

Thanks.
I got back yesterday from my orientation at Campbell, and believe me, I and my wife are not crazy about the school/area, but it's the only school we'll be able to attend together right now.

Are you from there, by any chance?

any oil advice, anyone?

I'd use Mobil 1 xW-30 or xW-40 and change it yearly. Well, actually, I'd use AMSOIL, but that's another story.

For the last few years, with 4 cars and 2 drivers, a couple of the cars have had very low yearly mileage. I've changed oil yearly, when I remembered. Nary a problem.

When my mother had an old Ford, I put AMSOIL 15W-40 Marine oil in it, and changed oil three times in 11 or 12 years (mostly because I knew it had been reformulated). Tried to change filter and top off every year or two. Only time it really got driven was when my brother or I would visit.

Back in the dark ages, there was a Popular Science article on the "new synthetics". A Mobil rep stated that the oil held up very well for a year even in "Aunt Minnie" driving, low miles, short trips, etc.

I'm from raleigh, which is 1.5 - 2 hours away.

I visited a couple of friends who attended the school. The students aren't kidding when they say that you get cabin fever from being there as there is no real way to let off steam/shop/games/etc... other than driving a good ways away from the school.

You are a stronger man than I.
wink.gif

I'd say stick with what you've got in there and go for those long drives every now and then to remove moisuture. I don't see how keeping the same schedule would be detrimental when using a good oil.

Of course only a UOA would tell the real story.

[ July 11, 2004, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: seotaji ]

Why not go to Motorcraft 5w30 in both vehicles. It appears to be of group 2+ at least and change twice a year. Congrats to both of you for your college acceptance. The fact that you will be together will remove the lonliness and homesickness that many college students face.

I would use the Motorcraft 5w-20. In my opinion, and experience, the Ford 4.6 prefers a thinner oil, or at least not thicker than average. My Tbird sounded no noisier when I ran the Motorcraft 5w-20 and UOAs here have shown good results with the oil.

I would think that your modular V8 Ford and the Motorcraft 5w-20 would be a match made in heaven, especially with projected short trips and all, unless your engine has other issues. Changing every 6 months sounds like a good plan.

MC 5W-20 and MC Filter.

If you want to try something new you might want to try a asymmetrical oil change intervals.

Changes on November 1 or April 1. This keeps the oil in during the 5 coldest months and 7 warmest months. I think this more closely coincides with wear patterns than 6 month changes.

Gene

Thanks to all of you for the replies...

With a lot of you supporting the idea of MC 5/20, I think I'll go with that (I already use the MC FL820-s filter), and change it every 6 mo. or as was suggested at the beginning of cold/hot seasons.

As I've stated before the only concern I have is that my mod engine is a 97, and has high miles, and not one of these "newer" mod's with super 5/20 uoa's, which may NOT play a role, if they're all the same, which can be the case(after all Ford did recommend the MC 5/20 for mod's from years previous to the 1997, so I hope its ok). I'll change to Mc 5/20 when I dump the M-1 5/40 and see how it feels/sounds etc.

( I have only about 1500 miles on the M1, but have a FREE oil change coupon at the Ford dealership...should I change to MC 5/20 now or after the drive to Buies Creek, NC in hot summer weather.. 7 hrs drive on interstate. would the M1 5/40 be better for that?)

I wish I could use a different oil in the Elantra, too. Right now it's getting Pennz.10/30 year round from the dealer. The noise until it shifts to OD and idle noise/clattering is too much for my taste, but the thing runs really good except for that. I have a feeling this Elantra might like a thicker oil, but it's under warranty, so....

Again, thanks for all the advice

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:
Thanks to all of you for the replies...

With a lot of you supporting the idea of MC 5/20, I think I'll go with that (I already use the MC FL820-s filter), and change it every 6 mo. or as was suggested at the beginning of cold/hot seasons.

As I've stated before the only concern I have is that my mod engine is a 97, and has high miles, and not one of these "newer" mod's with super 5/20 uoa's, which may NOT play a role, if they're all the same, which can be the case(after all Ford did recommend the MC 5/20 for mod's from years previous to the 1997, so I hope its ok). I'll change to Mc 5/20 when I dump the M-1 5/40 and see how it feels/sounds etc.

( I have only about 1500 miles on the M1, but have a FREE oil change coupon at the Ford dealership...should I change to MC 5/20 now or after the drive to Buies Creek, NC in hot summer weather.. 7 hrs drive on interstate. would the M1 5/40 be better for that?)

I personally would leave the M1 5W-40 in until you get that 7 hour freeway hot weather run behind you, but I tend to be conservative.
If you do decide to switch to the Motorcraft 5W-20, let us know if you get any extra oil consumption in that high mile 4.6L. My 96 T-Bird 4.6L tends to consume some M1 5W-30, but almost no Delvac 1 5W-40. I've read all the great low wear results when using Motorcraft 5W-20, but haven't had the nerve to try it in my bird due to fear of excess consumption.
Good luck in your new adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back