Car buying through Costco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard you can buy for way below invoice with Costco's car buying service, through participating dealers. Has anyone done this?

Even if you do, the last guy in the sales process will try to sell you alloy wheel insurance or whatever other [censored] they make lots of money on.

I've used the Costco car buying service a couple of times and have had a good experience. The finance guy at the dealer will try to up sell the add on stuff, but it's up the the buyer to turn them down.

I just purchased a Hyundai Santa FE and thought I would use the CostCo program. The dealer showed me the CostCo price-and then the dealers price with all available rebates (including financing).

The dealers price was lower. I would think if there are not any rebates via financing-the CostCo price could be better. But deals without special financing are more the exception than the rule.

So-I take the Hyundai Dealer's financing-hold on to their financing for six months (then refinance through my credit union)-And I'm still $1,300 ahead.
the CostCo price doesn't take this in to account.

Last edited:
My parents bought both of their current cars through the costco program. On one, the dealer did not want to give them the Costco discount (it was $1000 off the normal price), as it was already priced $1000 off the normal MSRP, but relented when they insisted. The other car was negotiated "hard" and then they told him they wanted the Costco price, which the dealer said was a grand less then their already negotiated price. They would absolutely do it again with Costco.

Unless, of course, you can get some special deal like CKN did.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
I wouldn't balk at using it, but as always: buyer beware....

Great advice!

BTW: From what I can tell, the Costco service is really just a affinity group rebranded TrueCar service (same folks).
Same with your local Credit Union, Sam's Club and Consumer Reports service.

Last edited:
The Costco program is the real deal. It's fully run by Costco. It's not a partnership with Truecar. Many others are just Truecar offers, but the Costco one is not.

It's definitely worth checking.

Costco brokered over 450,000 cars last year,second only to Car Max. I would advise you to check out. both cars direct ,com and true car .com before going to the dealer referred by Costco.

I know people who've used it, but have never used it myself. The people I know who have used it said it's a good price, but not the best price. Some of them basically used the Costco price as a price point to start negotiating further from.

I used Costco to purchase a diesel Jetta when they were the "hot" thing, and dealers were unwilling to talk on price. I was able to save a good bit of money, paid no dealer fees and no additional charges. Just a discounted price and tax.

While the car turned out to be horribly unreliable, the Costco deal was quite pleasing.

Sam's club has outsourced to Truecar last I heard.

Sounds like a good idea if you aren't willing to go through the aggravation to save the last $300 on a car.

Still, how do you automatically know it's a good deal? The fact that Costco has arranged for competitive prices with the area Honda dealer doesn't mean that they have the same relationship with an area Mazda dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back