Caprice Dyno video and results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Here are the cam specs.

223/230 .610"/.573" 115+2

Are those numbers at .050 lift? Wow thats a lot of lift for only 220 degrees of duration. I imagine i has greats low end power.

Wow that a lot of lift. Using and sacrificing some HP to run high rate valves springs I guess.

Track and occassional use I would guess.

I be afraid to DD a 0.6" lift cam.!

Looks like fun anyways!

Here are the cam specs.

Are those numbers at .050 lift? Wow thats a lot of lift for only 220 degrees of duration. I imagine i has greats low end power.

Yep that is how BTR specs their cams.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Here are the cam specs.

Wow that a lot of lift. Using and sacrificing some HP to run high rate valves springs I guess.

Track and occassional use I would guess.

I be afraid to DD a 0.6" lift cam.!

Looks like fun anyways!

It has a completely updated valve train. With Brian Tooley springs, LS7 lifters, lifter trays, timing chain and tensioner. For LS3 style heads which these are, this is a small cam. Most guys are running the stage 2 or 3 with converter in their daily driver. This is my daily, I went mild as my wife and kid may drive it from time to time. .610 is nothing for these cars. It barely lopes at idle.

With modern cars and a lift of .6 or over it is all about the tune and overlap.

Well after a long week and lots of rain the dyno results are here.

This car is stock manifolds, Magnaflow axle backs, CAI, BTR Stage one cam.

Caprice full dyno pull video

Short idle video

The results are as follows.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is not a Dyno Jet so it reads a bit low, but 399 HP and 399 FT/LBS of torque. I will take it.

Runs good with some chop, feels almost stock until you hit the go pedal. REALLY woke it up.
Kept the stock converter for now. Might switch it later on down the road, but you can throw the keys to anyone and they
can drive it.

[Linked Image]

Very cool! Awesome power curve. Very sensible for the vehicle involved. I bet it's an amazing daily!

BTR LS1/LS2 STAGE 1 NA CAM
Specs: 223/230 .610"/.573" 115+2

This is a great camshaft for daily driver applications that need a kick square in the pants. It offers an a distinct idle compared to stock without going overboard and negatively affecting drivability. Stock torque converters will work with this. However, an aftermarket stall will help unlock this cam's full potential. The stable lobe design and mild specs ensure that this cam is easy enough on your valvetrain components to keep you smiling for tens of thousands of miles.

It is really for an LS1 or LS2, the Caprice is a basically an LS2 bottom end with LS3 top end. Just like the G8. It drives so nice, you can't tell it is in there.

I ran a similar flat tappet in the 80s in my 66 Chevy II 355.

The famous 350 HP grind which I think was 222 square .with 1/2 in lift. Good valve diameter and port size don't need big lift.

It takes some power to push open 350 lb valve springs vs under 180.

Too much cam for DD though/ hard shifts at 5500 RPM would snap parts of the driveline - like the yoke on the rear end
smile.gif

Sent my DS a flying a few times in "impromtu" street races.

I like a 207 1/2 in lift with tighter lobe 108 centers for street give a BIG torque pull at 3000 rpm.

I like spinning the fatter SBC slower with an AT. V8 are for fat torque 1200-3800

But I'm all stuck in the past with carbs, 3 speed autos and highway gears..

I see the stock LS3 roller cam is: 204/ .550 117 LSA Plenty healthy, but way too wide a lobe splay.

Last edited:

.610 is nothing for these cars. It barely lopes at idle.

Cool! The minimal lope probable is the shorter duration and 115 degree lobe centers. Also keeps you in emissions.

.610 is nothing for these cars. It barely lopes at idle.

Cool! The minimal lope probable is the shorter duration and 115 degree lobe centers. Also keeps you in emissions.

I try not to kill the trees.
smile.gif

I ran a similar flat tappet in the 80s in my 66 Chevy II 355.

The famous 350 HP grind which I think was 222 square .with 1/2 in lift. Good valve diameter and port size don't need big lift.

It takes some power to push open 350 lb valve springs vs under 180.

Too much cam for DD though/ hard shifts at 5500 RPM would snap parts of the driveline - like the yoke on the rear end
smile.gif

Sent my DS a flying a few times in "impromtu" street races.

I like a 207 1/2 in lift with tighter lobe 108 centers for street give a BIG torque pull at 3000 rpm.

I like spinning the fatter SBC slower with an AT. V8 are for fat torque 1200-3800

But I'm all stuck in the past with carbs, 3 speed autos and highway gears..

I see the stock LS3 roller cam is: 204/ .550 117 LSA Plenty healthy, but way too wide a lobe splay.

Yeah way in the past. It isn't like that all anymore. Just had the car out so easy to drive. No cam surge, no pushing at idle.
I should have went bigger. Yeah mine is not much bigger than stock.

Looking at the torque curve you posted again.

Not a bunch of torque off the bottom. I want BIG torque from 1500 on up in a slushbox DD.

Nice for drags with gears and a loose converter - but too much for a DD.

Too much cam for me. But I don't work on LS motors with big ports -

I'm an old school Gen I guy the real SBC
smile.gif

I guess the FI big lobe separation makes it driveable.

Enjoy your car!

Funny, I was just doing up the bottom end on a Buick 340 last weekend and my friend's garage.
Nice to have heat and good lighting up north here !

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
There were 2 340 engines. The 9:1 and the 10.25:1 .

My dad had a 67 lesabre that he bought as a demonstrator. It was pretty quick for a heavy car. ( i was a kid, never drove it). I wonder if it had the GS 10:1 340 in it.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Dang, just a hair more and 400 / 400 ðŸ‘

Probably with e-85 and more tune , he would be there.

Looking at the torque curve you posted again.

Not a bunch of torque off the bottom. I want BIG torque from 1500 on up in a slushbox DD.

Nice for drags with gears and a loose converter - but too much for a DD.

Too much cam for me. But I don't work on LS motors with big ports -

I'm an old school Gen I guy the real SBC
smile.gif

I guess the FI big lobe separation makes it driveable.

Enjoy your car!

You need to drive an LS car like this I have had a SBC like you talk about there is no comparison. I am still pulling down over 20 mpg on the highway.
I also had two LT1 cars and an L98 Vette.

What you are saying about the LS is just not true. You can't even tell it is in there until you hit the go pedal. Well you get some chop at idle that is to be expected.

You are thinking to much cam for a SBC. This cam is perfect for my stall and daily driving. Most of the 6.0 guys are running the stage two or better.
You can't even compare SBC heads with LS3 heads and what cams are good for what as the tuning possibilities VS a traditional SBC are out of this world.
They are not even in the same ball park.

This is the stage 2 cam Specs: 227/234 .614"/.576" 113+2 Most guys daily drive this.

I am not trying to be an A** but they are just way to different to compare.

Last edited:
On a Dynojet I would have made over 400. A set of headers would put right around 420 but having the interior quiet is nice.

On a Dynojet I would have made over 400. A set of headers would put right around 420 but having the interior quiet is nice.

What about a 150 shot of NOS ?

Just kidding, I know you wouldn't want to hurt Hellcat owners feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back