Can't Wait To See How This Plays Out.

There were other reasons a crystal ball looki to the future would have sent me running. You’re right. The keys are a small thing. Big pain in the neck though.
What I really don’t like is the money to cover a new fob won’t come out of her vacation plans or anything like that. It always ends up screwing up my projects.

A good way to help this, without friction is to get her a gift. There are purses with key leashes in side. My wifes purse has this. You can get her a new purse that she would like and a leash to tether the key fob inside. Win/Win.

You could also attach the air tag mentioned above if you use apple.

This turned out to be a great thread. I learned about the Air Tag and the key leash. I’m all in.

"What I really don’t like is the money to cover a new fob won’t come out of her vacation plans or anything like that. It always ends up screwing up my projects."

It seems that you are part of the problem also. You are enabling her, the same way people enable alcoholics or anything else. She will never learn and/or change if there are no consequences. Even though it is hard for me, I sometimes let my wife fail. Failure is an excellent mode of learning ( I do it often, LOL.).

Having offering those wise words, at 44 years of marriage I can empathize with you and one learns to live with each others faults to avoid insanity. My wife certainly has to deal with my faults also.

Glad that you found some excellent solutions in this great thread.

When I get home today I'll have to check that bottomless pit she calls a handbag. It could totally be in there. She'd never see it because it's so crowded and she can't see. Glasses. You know. Won't wear em.

Beware the bottom of that purse. Something could bite you. But in all seriousness, very possibly the fob is in there. I have had the same battle, and despite vigorous denial, the keys were inside when I dumped it out on the floor.

When I get home today I'll have to check that bottomless pit she calls a handbag. It could totally be in there. She'd never see it because it's so crowded and she can't see. Glasses. You know. Won't wear em.
You are in deep do do if she reads this thread!! I have several Girl Friends, me ex recently passed away, and they all have massive purses even back packs. David, me badd a$$ seal team buddy, thinks they look 'gay", the backpacks that is.

Totally agree. I called her and said make an appointment to get a new fob programmed. She said it’s only missing one day. I still may find it.
She’s not gonna find it.
I said know this. If something happens to the remaining fob there’s nothing I can do. It probably means a tow to the dealership.
Irresponsible and unreasonable. Great combination.
Ebay may be able to help with some of the cost. Multiple people warned me that this may not work, but it ended up working fine.

Mine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353302025578

Beware the bottom of that purse. Something could bite you. But in all seriousness, very possibly the fob is in there. I have had the same battle, and despite vigorous denial, the keys were inside when I dumped it out on the floor.
Don't have to dump it, just walk to the car with the purse and if it unlocks and starts, bingo, found the remote.
Fobs are proximity now.

Don't have to dump it, just walk to the car with the purse and if it unlocks and starts, bingo, found the remote.
Fobs are proximity now.
Was about to say this.

I wonder if clipping the fob inside the purse would work? Marginally harder to lose I'd think.

Was about to say this.

I wonder if clipping the fob inside the purse would work? Marginally harder to lose I'd think.

That’s the whole idea with the fob. You carry it and that’s it. Touch a button or a sensor and you’re in.

If the Traverse has push button start, just put her purse in the car (without the spare fob being anywhere around) and try to start the vehicle. If it "sees" the fob and starts the vehicle, the missing fob is in the purse.

To date I have never lost a car key. The first thing that I do when I get a car is make and program a bunch of spare keys and toss them in my toolbox for just in case. Keys wear out and I have already broken keys. I also carry 2 sets with me for each of my cars on different rings in different pockets to make sure that I dont lock myself out. That I have done already and having a spare with me comes in handy.

My wife has never lost a car key.

She has, however, lost every single house key I've put on the same ring as her car key.

So every 18 months or so I get a call, power's out, breaker tripped or something, can't get into the garage. "Use your house key." "I don't have it." "I attached it to your key ring". "It's not there any more."

I'm done, next time she's stuck until it's quitting time plus commute time.

The only problem I have with going into her purse is once I find what she's looking for I can't get it all back in :(

Back