Can't Wait To See How This Plays Out.

About ten days ago, my wife bought a new Chevy Traverse. Wait... Let's backtrack a little.
When I first met her in 2001, she bought herself a new Saturn L300. In no time at all, lost one of the keys. In 2009, she bought a Kia Sorento. Being married by then and remembering the Saturn's key, I took custody of the second key. I can't tell you how many times I got a panicked call because she dropped her keys and wrecked the fob or some other reason I had to show up with the spare key or fob or put the alarm in valet mode.
OK... so up to speed. We've owned the new Traverse ten whole days. It has keyless entry and a pushbutton start. I keep seeing her carrying around the loose fob, not on a key ring or attached to her house keys. I kept meaning to say let me do something with that but I figured it was brand new. it will be fine until I have five minutes to do something with it. Yesterday I get home from work and as she's passing me in the driveway she says oh yeah, I lost the first fob. This is the spare. I said don't let anything happen to it. I can't help you if you lose it or break it.
SO... I can't wait to see what a new fob and programming costs. And yes, I scoured the house. No idea what she did with it.

My Wife had that same problem. I made sure that she had AAA roadside assistance. It was very handy since I was even out of the country a lot in those days. Lights left on and battery dead. Flat tires etc, it save me and her from frantic worry. Oh yes, check under the seat.

I checked under the seat.

She's 57 years old. It's totally unacceptable. I lose nothing. On the rare occasion I misplace something, she follows me around and lectures me about being more responsible.
Her problem is she was always very attractive and things were always easy. I've noticed it makes her very irresponsible.
I think she has AAA but never uses it because she has me. Like I said, I can do nothing with this car.

We have “my fob” and “her fob” for our cars, except my Jeep, since only I drive it.

If her fob disappears, she can use mine, but I collect it as soon as she comes home. She will always find hers eventually, and that helps speed it up. Admittedly, it is rare she loses hers.

Your situation is tough. I would buy 2 new fobs and get them programmed at the same time.

About ten days ago, my wife bought a new Chevy Traverse. Wait... Let's backtrack a little.
When I first met her in 2001, she bought herself a new Saturn L300. In no time at all, lost one of the keys. In 2009, she bought a Kia Sorento. Being married by then and remembering the Saturn's key, I took custody of the second key. I can't tell you how many times I got a panicked call because she dropped her keys and wrecked the fob or some other reason I had to show up with the spare key or fob or put the alarm in valet mode.
OK... so up to speed. We've owned the new Traverse ten whole days. It has keyless entry and a pushbutton start. I keep seeing her carrying around the loose fob, not on a key ring or attached to her house keys. I kept meaning to say let me do something with that but I figured it was brand new. it will be fine until I have five minutes to do something with it. Yesterday I get home from work and as she's passing me in the driveway she says oh yeah, I lost the first fob. This is the spare. I said don't let anything happen to it. I can't help you if you lose it or break it.
SO... I can't wait to see what a new fob and programming costs. And yes, I scoured the house. No idea what she did with it.
Definitely don't wait for her to lose the 2nd one. Go NOW. I just got a new one programmed for my Mustang. $90 at the dealership.

Last edited:
My wife would be a wreck for a month if she lost a fob. She's never even lost a sock in the laundry. Getting to her senior years is going to a problem for her if she ever misplaces something. Since the fob never needs to leave the purse, it's hard to lose it.

3 of the 4 key fobs I've lost were eventually found under the seat in a different car, always after the matching car had been sold. After buying my truck with keyless entry I invested in a pack of Tiles. Best money ever spent. Have saved me hours of key hunting and countless bad words.

The question I have is with key fobs costing hundreds of dollars now and car mfg touting their software prowess and smart phone connectivity, why are they not building something similar to Tile or Air Tag into key fobs as a standard feature.

My ex wife was the same way. The fob to her new Infiniti was stolen off of her desk just a few days after she bought the car. She was a loan officer at a bank. The bank had been held up twice and she had her purse stolen off her desk previously. Lots of meth users in the neighborhood. So I had to bring her my fob. I forget the cost of replacing it and having both fobs reprogrammed but it wasn't cheap. Plus I had to re-key the door locks on the house since the house keys were attached to the fob.
Grrr.......

Definitely don't wait for her to lose the 2nd one. Go NOW. I just got a new one programmed for my Mustang. $90 at the dealership.
Totally agree. I called her and said make an appointment to get a new fob programmed. She said it’s only missing one day. I still may find it.
She’s not gonna find it.
I said know this. If something happens to the remaining fob there’s nothing I can do. It probably means a tow to the dealership.
Irresponsible and unreasonable. Great combination.

Try to maintain perspective.
If, on your wedding day, the ghost of wedding future appeared and told you "Your bride will lose her car keys. Often." Would you have still married her? Of course you would have.
So, get Air Tags, and don't sweat the small stuff. Besides, you married a beautiful woman. You could have married an ugly woman who loses her keys.

Back