Can't start car when hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car in question is my 1996 mustang 4.6, yesterday went to drop something off at the post office, when returned engine wouldn't turn, had full power but not even a click.
Called AAA figuring the starter was bad, when the driver tried to start the car it fired right up.
Drove it home and did the same thing, wouldn't start right away but it did after half hour or so.
I heard it could be the starter solenoid, the ignition switch, has anyone here had a similar situation?
Thanks guys.

Been there, done that, and in every case it was the starter itself. I was always taught that this is a result of the internal components becoming marginal and then the heat increasing resistance through electrical pathways, making a hot starter useless. Still will start cold, though.

Could be just the solenoid, but since you have to pull the starter anyway to get at it, may as well do the whole thing.

I would say you should investigate the solenoid for the starter which is suffering from heat-soak. I had a similar problem in the VW-Cabriolet I had.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Miller88
Was nothing happening or was the engine cranking over?

Nothing at all, not even a click.

Check cables and Solenoid Old chevys were famous for heat soak on the piggy backed starter solenoid/bendix. Even remote mounted solenoids can have heat soak problems.Testing that IMO involved placing 12V onto the solenoid and see if it pulled in.

Had a very similar situation with a 2001 Miata. Ended up being the starter after replacing the cam position sensor.

My Jeep had a relay that went spastic and did that.
Check and see if you vehicle has a relay. If so swap it out with another of same size and give it a try

Had a very similar situation with a 2001 Miata. Ended up being the starter after replacing the cam position sensor.

It was A bad starter, it was the original and surprised it went this long, thanks for the replies guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back