Can't get Generator to run right!

Clogged fuel tank screen or debris in fuel lines. After you clean the spark arrestor(or just remove it), make sure the fuel is flowing thru the line.
If no fuel filter, install an inline filter. Nothing worse than crud choking up your old carb, then choking up your new carb.

I would clean the ol' carb up and try it again. Even though I tend to replace carbs, most just need a good cleaning.

Gas cap vent is killing my Briggs mower. Runs good for 15 minutes and then dies. I guess the cap is suppose to vent and doesn't. Run the cap 1/2 way tight and mower runs great.

Don't store fuel in a generator.

If you want some compression, drain out the 30 or 40 grade and use Mobil1 15w50.

Reactions: 4WD
Clogged fuel tank screen or debris in fuel lines. After you clean the spark arrestor(or just remove it), make sure the fuel is flowing thru the line.
If no fuel filter, install an inline filter. Nothing worse than crud choking up your old carb, then choking up your new carb.

I would clean the ol' carb up and try it again. Even though I tend to replace carbs, most just need a good cleaning.

Gas cap vent is killing my Briggs mower. Runs good for 15 minutes and then dies. I guess the cap is suppose to vent and doesn't. Run the cap 1/2 way tight and mower runs great.

Don't store fuel in a generator.

If you want some compression, drain out the 30 or 40 grade and use Mobil1 15w50.
Some of the carb replacements come with a decent filter - but I toss the hose for Tygon hose …

New carb is probably less expensive than a carb kit. I have fixed several stubborn generators with a new carb.
Yup, after attempting to clean my generator’s carb and stripping every screw I went onto Amazon and found a brand new one with a the addition of a fuel filter for $29.99. Fit well, generator runs great, and at $30 in maintenance in the past 5 years I’m still ahead.

If it has a low oil sensor after verifying it has enough oil, try unlugging it. They have a short life, I do not know why but they do.

Rod

just to add to everything else suggested, if there is a shut off valve make sure it flows fuel when open, they can get crudded up with junk in the fuel tank. I would for sure add an inline filter if you didn't have one but if you have done that make sure that the fuel line does not sag down below the level of the bowl, these carbs run on gravity flow and the routing of the fuel line is important.

Back